You are here

Recommendations for a mini line-level mixer?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Recommendations for a mini line-level mixer?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I have dealt with Thomann a fair few times with no problems.

Definitely good to know, cheers!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Just remembered I did have a faulty PSU with a guitar preamp once but they sent a replacement quickly and didn't require the faulty one returning so :thumbup: to them for that too.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave B » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Ed, if it's a short term thing and you just want something to join signals to send to a desk, I have an old Tascam 2u 16ch line mixer which is just (literally) gathering dust you are welcome to. If you're interested, I'll fire it up later and see if it's still working

Edit : Fostex 2016 - funny design (back panel inputs are phonos, but jacks on the front) but handy. Two busses as well. Cute.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Likewise. I've had very good service from Thomann.

As always, the few inevitable occasions when things go wrong will always generate massively more noise and negativity than the hundreds of times it all works perfectly. I bought some bits from Thomann last month, and it turned up in a couple of days, exactly as expected and in perfect condition.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Dave B wrote:Ed, if it's a short term thing and you just want something to join signals to send to a desk, I have an old Tascam 2u 16ch line mixer which is just (literally) gathering dust you are welcome to. If you're interested, I'll fire it up later and see if it's still working

Edit : Fostex 2016 - funny design (back panel inputs are phonos, but jacks on the front) but handy. Two busses as well. Cute.

Thanks a lot for the offer Dave :thumbup: ... I might well have taken you up on it, but I just went ahead and ordered the Samson from Thomann, so I think I've finally got it covered :D

Also, thanks to everyone for the input - as usual, it was definitely worth asking as I've been shown, and explored, a few avenues I wouldn't have thought of, learned a couple of things along the way and ended up with something that's far better suited for my needs than my original thoughts would have provided :wave:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:53 pm

If that Samson is anything like the other Samson kit I've used it should be good for the money.

I've also traded extensively with Thomann - no problems to report. That said, where I *can* I will always buy locally, and encourage others to do the same, even if it costs a modest amount more - when those guys are no longer around the world will be a darker place.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 pm

The Elf wrote:I've also traded extensively with Thomann - no problems to report. That said, where I *can* I will always buy locally, and encourage others to do the same, even if it costs a modest amount more - when those guys are no longer around the world will be a darker place.

+1 ... I usually use GAK as my go-to place as it's so local I've even popped down and picked big stuff up direct from the warehouse after ordering it online in the past, but sadly they didn't have anything in stock I liked the look of this time around.

I also heard rumours that they've been feeling the squeeze in recent months, and I too would heartily recommend going local if possible.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:14 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
I also heard rumours that they've been feeling the squeeze in recent months, and I too would heartily recommend going local if possible.

By a happy coincidence I ordered something from them today! £40 won't keep their wolf from the door, but every little... etc.

These days I seem to use GAK, Gear4Music and Studiospares for run of the mill purchases. I usually use Thomann when ordering a lot of kit for an install as they seem particularly adept at handling large multi-item orders with (occasionally) items having to be palletted.

I won't use DV247 come hell or highwater... their dodgy business practices of a few years ago won't be supported by me... :protest:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:19 pm

The Elf wrote:But my stance remains that I never put unnecessary electronics in the recording chain, so I would ALWAYS get I/O on a bay and bypass anything that might otherwise sit between source and audio interface when I'm recording.

That's my approach nowadays, ever since I abandoned my 'good quality' mixing desk after it blew its PSU for the third time, and switched to plugging all my inputs directly into a multi-channel audio interface.

Although this setup initially felt less 'controllable without EQ and Aux sends on front of my fingers at all times, the difference in audio clarity was quite noticeable, and I haven't personally used a mixing desk since :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:09 am

Martin Walker wrote:
The Elf wrote:But my stance remains that I never put unnecessary electronics in the recording chain, so I would ALWAYS get I/O on a bay and bypass anything that might otherwise sit between source and audio interface when I'm recording.

That's my approach nowadays, ever since I abandoned my 'good quality' mixing desk after it blew its PSU for the third time, and switched to plugging all my inputs directly into a multi-channel audio interface.

Although this setup initially felt less 'controllable without EQ and Aux sends on front of my fingers at all times, the difference in audio clarity was quite noticeable, and I haven't personally used a mixing desk since :beamup:

Martin

Interesting. I wonder if this is more of a noticeable effect depending on the nature of the source material? Unlike some folks here my sources are almost exclusively synthesizer based and doing few short test recordings using my Kronos using piano, pad, string and some combis I can't discern a difference between the result of playing back a recording made through the desk vs. the live sound when I route the output of the synth direct to the monitors (no desk in the chain).

Could be my ears of course but I'm reasonably tuned in to what sounds good, and in all honesty I can't tell the difference. Am I 'lucky' in that I'm not doing anything of note acoustically?
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:56 am

Now here's a thing...

My product ordered from UK-based GAK has just been delivered.

Of course, the inevitable wall-wart, but a two-pin continental one with no supplied adapter. German supplier Thomann always send a UK adapter in such circumstances...

Oh the irony... :headbang:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:04 pm

I believe it's illegal to supply electrical equipment without the proper UK plug or adapter. Get on to GAK as they will need to supply an adapter.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby Zukan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Just think, after Brexit we'll be handling live wires.
Zukan

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:50 pm

AFAIK supplying a EU style PSU and an adapter is not acceptable either, it must be a UK power supply with a UK plug.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:10 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Of course, the inevitable wall-wart, but a two-pin continental one with no supplied adapter. German supplier Thomann always send a UK adapter in such circumstances...

If they try to fob you off with an adaptor make sure that it is properly approved for the intended use. There are some very dodgy ones going around.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby wireman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:07 pm

Wonks wrote:I believe it's illegal to supply electrical equipment without the proper UK plug or adapter. Get on to GAK as they will need to supply an adapter.

An adaptor is not sufficient to comply with the law

The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994

Prohibitions on supply etc. of appliances

12.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, no person shall supply, offer for supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply any appliance unless that appliance is correctly fitted with a standard plug which–

(a)complies with the requirements of regulation 8 above; and

(b)is fitted with a fuse link which conforms to BS 1362 and is rated in accordance with the appliance manufacturer’s instructions, provided that in the absence of such instructions the fuse link may be rated in accordance with Table 2 of BS 1363.

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not prohibit any person from supplying, offering to supply, agreeing to supply, exposing for supply or possessing for supply any appliance which does not comply with the requirements of that paragraph but which–

(a)is correctly fitted with a non–UK plug which complies with the safety provisions of IEC 884–1; and

(b)is fitted with a conversion plug which complies with the requirements of paragraph (3) below and which encloses the fitted non–UK plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool.
wireman
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:18 pm

Yup, that's what I was thinking of. It must not apply to shavers and electric toothbrush chargers though :?:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Yes, there are exceptions which you can find by looking at the original legalese.

It is a long time since I have received a product with the wrong plug - Pixmania I think.
wireman
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yup, that's what I was thinking of. It must not apply to shavers and electric toothbrush chargers though :?:

Correct, because bathroom sockets are powered through an isolating transformer and are floating and ground-free to guarantee safety in a wet environment.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Of course, senior moment there......... Thanks Hugh......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext