You are here

Youtube Music

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Youtube Music

Postby Dicko » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:06 pm

I mix my stuff using AKG 701 and Tannoy 402 which sounds OK
When i put the track on another pc and reference Youtube songs my stuff sounds tinny and very harsh. Should i be mixing with earbuds ?
A simple drum track in Cubase on ear buds make the snare and overall drum kit tinny so should i re do the overall master or re mix ?
Dicko
Regular

Re: Youtube Music

Postby CS70 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:53 pm

Don't know the Tannoys and I use Beyer 990 pro, but I hear the AKG are as serious business as the Beyers.

So something's off with the mix - unless the mastering does something drastic.. a master done properly preserves the sound of the mix.

Hard to say without seeing what you do, but harsh and tinny sounds like you're pushing the highs too much, in one or more tracks.

Shot in the dark, but do you rest (or listen to something else) when you mix? Even with the best monitors or cans in the world, your ears gets tricked by the HF and after a while things sound dull and you pile up more... then you go to bed and the day after it's not pretty. :D
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Dicko » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:43 am

I'm going throught it now
I use an M-Audio 2496 soundcard and behringer power play pro xl headphones amp.
Dicko
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:55 am

I know the 701s are capable of supporting a perfectly good mix, because I did that every day for years until I upgraded.

Assuming nothing technical is going awry, then quite simply you must be creating this harshness in your mix either due to what your monitoring is telling you, or despite it.

You could post a short example here, so at least we can hear what you are hearing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dicko » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:19 am

Thanks for the replies here's a link .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_uMZeEt2k
Dicko
Regular

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks for the YT sample. Sounds OK to me but if you find it too trebly why not roll off some of that treble?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:07 am

Sounds fine to me here, too. I'd question the balance of the mix, but tonally I don't hear anything unusual.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:07 am

Yup, same here, sounds fine on MBP speakers and on AirPods. Nice track too I like the way you've kept the interest going throughout with changes of instrument and so on, well done :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dicko » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:26 am

OK Thanks guys.
Perhaps i'm getting hyper sensitive and self doubt is creeping in.
Dicko
Regular

Postby manhattan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Dicko wrote:I mix my stuff using AKG 701 and Tannoy 402 which sounds OK
When i put the track on another pc and reference Youtube songs my stuff sounds tinny and very harsh. Should i be mixing with earbuds ?
A simple drum track in Cubase on ear buds make the snare and overall drum kit tinny so should i re do the overall master or re mix ?

Is it that your songs sound tinny and harsh compared to some youtube songs as opposed to they are just tinny and harsh? Or to put it another way, could it be down to the songs you are referencing from YouTube that make it sound more tinny and harsh than usual?

I'm not sure it sounds tinny, it could be down to some of the samples you have used sounding a "certain way". There's probably a wee bit of harshness, per se, in a few areas that may be resolved just by lowering the volume a fraction, or minor EQing. A fraction being .2-1 db. That only came through on laptop speakers though, which should be taken into account but only after your main listening devices and once you have put a thorough mix on it. Its really minimal though and not anything Id really classify as tinny or harsh. Some of the samples, but not all of them, give it a bit of lack of realness and fatness you could say, but it doesn't necessarily ruin or hurt the song at all as there is a lot of music that intends to sound similar in style.

I'd say overall it sounds good and most things will just be down to taste and personal preference regarding subjective things.

I personally use Sennheiser HD 600s, various earbuds, smartphone speaker, laptop speaker, and the car to test mixes and masters. I don't even bother with Monitors, what a PITA if you don't have the right room and soundproofing all calibrated and perfect and if you aren't in the same nice studio or workspace every day then I figure what's the point? Too much over thinking for the brain to adjust based on poor acoustics.
manhattan
Poster