You are here

Audeze LCD-X...Sam!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Audeze LCD-X...Sam!

Postby Zukan » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Sam, could have messaged you but maybe others here might benefit from this posting.

I have the Audeze LCD-X and love them, dare I say, even more than equivalent Stax. I am currently using my id22 amp to drive them but feel I am missing out on the extended headroom that a better amp might provide. Do you have any recommendations as to what amp I could use that drops in at under £300?
Zukan

Re: Audeze LCD-X...Sam!

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Well hello there, season's greetings, etc etc etc. I have to say that for me one of the good things about the Audeze phones is that they seem to fare pretty well with modest amps, so I don't usually bother with a separate headphone amp unless I need one for other reasons such as sending cue mixes to musicians -- usually I just use the headphone output built into whatever audio interface I happen to have around at the time for review purposes. Currently that is a JoeCo Cello which sounds pretty good to me.

I suspect Jack Ruston might be able to bring more experience on how the LCD-Xs perform with different amps -- Jack?
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:58 am

This is turning into a seasonal game of Pass the Parcel :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Jack Ruston » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:53 am

Well I used an SPL phonitor mini, and the built in ones in the Horus, and Drawmer 2.1. Ed I'll send you the phonitor to compare with what you've got. Should be able to do it tomorrow but it might possibly go on the 2nd if I run out of time - big cook tomorrow x
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:58 am

What a lovely community this is! :angel:
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:27 am

Jack Ruston wrote:Well I used an SPL phonitor mini, and the built in ones in the Horus, and Drawmer 2.1. Ed I'll send you the phonitor to compare with what you've got. Should be able to do it tomorrow but it might possibly go on the 2nd if I run out of time - big cook tomorrow x

As always, your kindness knows no bounds. Thanks brother.
Zukan

Postby Zukan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:29 am

Sam Inglis wrote:Well hello there, season's greetings, etc etc etc. I have to say that for me one of the good things about the Audeze phones is that they seem to fare pretty well with modest amps, so I don't usually bother with a separate headphone amp unless I need one for other reasons such as sending cue mixes to musicians -- usually I just use the headphone output built into whatever audio interface I happen to have around at the time for review purposes. Currently that is a JoeCo Cello which sounds pretty good to me.

I suspect Jack Ruston might be able to bring more experience on how the LCD-Xs perform with different amps -- Jack?

Look Sam, this is a Xmas present to me so don't go screwing things up by saying 'any amp will do'. For the love of man show some sympathy.

Actually, I was eyeing the Schiit Jotunheim.....and yes I have heard every joke re the name...sigh.
Zukan

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:48 am

My apologies. Obviously what I really meant to say is that it's impossible to hear every nuance of what the headphones are offering you unless you buy one of these:

https://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/?product=e ... +amplifier
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Zukan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:51 am

Sam Inglis wrote:My apologies. Obviously what I really meant to say is that it's impossible to hear every nuance of what the headphones are offering you unless you buy one of these:

Lol.......Now to convince the wife with a solid argument for the merits of harmonic distortion.

Thanks buddy...owe you one.
Zukan

Postby Dave B » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:My apologies. Obviously what I really meant to say is that it's impossible to hear every nuance of what the headphones are offering you unless you buy one of these:

Ahh ... that will be 'uncompromising audiophile quality equipment' - hence the 4 grand price tag. Seems a bargain to me!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Zukan » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:56 am

I just ordered one for you Dave...you know, to warm up the X as I know you will get it soon.
Zukan

Postby baward » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Sorry to hitch on a different horse, etc. but what's the difference between the EL-8 Open/Closed and the EL-8 Titanium (apart from price)?

TIA '19.
baward
Regular