You are here

Pink Floyd - Echoes 'funky' drums?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Pink Floyd - Echoes 'funky' drums?

Postby Chaconne » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:11 am

I was messing about setting up a backing track to mimic the middle section of Echoes so I could noodle about on guitar - and using the Abbey road 70's drums and compressors etc to get some vintage vibes going, I realised I'm not sure what is actually happening on this section mix wise.

When it comes in there is a big stereo spread effect on the drums. I think it is just one recording of the drums but possibly copied over and 'panned' over two tracks. Or is it two separate passes - it's hard to hear if they are absolutely the same track. Maybe it is the same track but the processing is different, the snare definitely seams brighter on the left.

it doesn't need reproducing for a jam track - just curious.
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Re: Pink Floyd - Echoes 'funky' drums?

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:01 pm

To my (non-expert) ears the hi-hat sounds slightly different on each channel, so I'm wondering if it's either a couple of takes where one is panned left and the other right, or whether it's just that they recorded with a number of differently positioned microphones and panned those recordings accordingly, perhaps with some EQ to differentiate them a bit.

Also, it may be my imagination but I wondered if there is an extremely short delay on the left channel (at least on the version I just listened to).

The sizzly crash appears centre (or near to it) so I think that's on it's own channel on the desk.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Dave B » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:25 pm

It's two drum parts hard panned (and I think Eddie's right and the crashes are centre). You also get a bit of a pummelling from the two kicks not being perfectly aligned. Sounds brilliant.

I love that bit and used to really enjoy playing it live. Must try and do it again sometime
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Chaconne » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:01 am

Thanks for listening and getting back.

I just don't know but I'm coming round to the 'double drums' theory - i.e the part played twice. Its odd - I must have heard it many times when younger, but only now really heard what was going on, trying to play it. Same goes for that whole track actually. There is a reversed reverb track on the drums all the way through. You can hear it obviously on the into fills, but it's there mixed in and out all the way through.

That and the higher gliss guitars and stuff - its a masterclass. Yet Echoes itself is not musically that difficult, they weren't ELP, but the imagination in creating that soundscape out of just guitar, bass organ and drums is fascinating.

Pink Floyd - great - yeah what an insight !
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:14 pm

Echoes is a brilliant example of playing around with majors and minors and a little drama. Throw in some good old fashioned jamming and some atmosphere and you have a classic. Love it to bits!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)