You are here

Layering

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Layering

Postby sebastianlive » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Hey guys, I have some problem when is comming to layer my leads. I layered my lead with the same, so I just clone the synth (serum) and I copy the melody. Something is wrong but I don't know what, it's sounds like I'm increasing the detune of that lead.

Check this out...

Here is without layer:

https://soundcloud.com/user-228161501/non-layered

And here is with:

https://soundcloud.com/user-228161501/non-layered

Gimme some advice please.
sebastianlive

Re: Layering

Postby BJG145 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:13 pm

You linked to the same file twice. I guess you meant this one:

https://soundcloud.com/user-228161501/layered-lead

It's louder, with a phasing effect, as a result of them being fractionally out of sync. Not sure what you're trying to achieve...? (When people talk about layering synth sounds, they're usually different sounds. Alternatively you might be going for a "doubling" effect, but for that you'd usually adjust panning / delay / EQ).
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:18 pm

What are you trying to achieve?

If it's a wide sound, then hard pan them and fiddle with some of the 'random tuning' (if you synth has it, otherwise just tiny changes in the fine tuning of the oscillators) and you should get that 'big wide' sound.

If it's to make a sound cut through more, then just layering the same isn't going to work. If the sound doesn't cut as it stands, then doubling (if you layer exactly the same thing it should double the level) won't help much. You'd be better at either tweaking the sound, or processing it - I've used an eq push around the 3-4k mark before to help and overdrive or distortion can be quite effective too.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:39 pm

Or at least change the pitch of one of them by an octave up or down, along with some panning. Or change some of the filter and envelope settings a bit so there's a definite difference in the sounds.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Now even grumpier than Ivan in his heyday.

Postby CS70 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:43 pm

As others said, "layering" refers to mix together parts played with different instruments, or at least different takes. That tends to give a little chorus-like effect and fatten up the sound especially for hi-gain leads.

That said, using a slight comb filtering by mixing in a delayed version of the same guitar lead is one of my fave tricks to mellow heavy gain guitars. I'm not a fan of the bridge strat lead sound, so I always look for ways to make it a little less harsh without reducing the clarity, and a delay plugin with a mix effect and onboard shelves (aka, Echoboy :) ) is perfect for the job.

However, to get it just right, you want really to listen to the final sound when setting both the delay time (a few msecs) and the mix level, and often in the context of the mix - otherwise you end up with a phasey and thin mess.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page