You are here

A variant on the old 'which monitor' thread...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

A variant on the old 'which monitor' thread...

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm

My old Mission hifi speakers are on their way out and they no longer stock the relevant replacement parts. So I'm thinking that I will shift my Dynaudio hifi speakers (currently functioning as my monitors) upstairs and get some proper studio monitors for my music set up.
So, assuming the usual caveats about going to listen to them, and with a positive outlook on my future employment state, can anyone suggest a reason NOT to buy a set of Neumann KH80s? (Especially as I can currently get them for a bit less than £800 the pair at the moment).

P.S. Can anyone think of a use for the old missions? They're really rather nice little cabinets (750LE model) and it seems such a waste to get rid of them. :(
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: A variant on the old 'which monitor' thread...

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Set them up as Lr/Rr and create your first surround mix! ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:05 pm

blinddrew wrote:So, assuming the usual caveats about going to listen to them, and with a positive outlook on my future employment state, can anyone suggest a reason NOT to buy a set of Neumann KH80s? (Especially as I can currently get them for a bit less than £800 the pair at the moment).

I'd happily recommend the KH80s. They are very impressive straight out of the box, and now that the controller app is finally available, very room-configurable as well.

As for the old Missions... You could use the cabinets as a basis for some DIY speaker-building experimentation if that floats your boat, but otherwise I'd flog them while they still make respectable noises... ;-) As you say, the original drivers are no longer available so they have reached the end of their useful life.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:06 pm

The Elf wrote:Set them up as Lr/Rr and create your first surround mix! ;)

If he could do that, he wouldn't need to replace them in the first place.

I think Drew wants to repurpose the cabinets. Maybe hide some CCTV cameras in them?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Wonks wrote:I think Drew wants to repurpose the cabinets. Maybe hide some CCTV cameras in them?

Carefully remove the drivers and internal acoustic wadding, fill with peat, install a variety of flowering bulbs, and fasten outside your windows as window boxes? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks folks, :)
The Elf has seen my room - the last thing it needs is more uncontrolled sounds bouncing around. ;)
And yes, to address the next question, I am also budgeting for some DIY acoustic treatment.

As for the cabinets I'm not too fussed if it's more or someone else who finds a use for them - I always feel lousy about taking stuff like that to the tip (I still have the old Musical Fidelity amp I've mentioned previously kicking around as well).
I guess I can lob them on freecycle and see if anyone can use them for a project, might get a bit more life out of them that way.

Though if I were to block off the tweeter hole and bass port, and stick a single driver in the woofer hole, there's probably enough space in there to build a little amp to make an active mono-midrange-checker...

Hmm...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:19 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Carefully remove the drivers and internal acoustic wadding, fill with peat, install a variety of flowering bulbs, and fasten outside your windows as window boxes? :lol:
Actually a garden planter was one of the first things that sprung to mind for some reason!
Must be something to do with their size. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Wonks wrote:I think Drew wants to repurpose the cabinets. Maybe hide some CCTV cameras in them?

Carefully remove the drivers and internal acoustic wadding, fill with peat, install a variety of flowering bulbs, and fasten outside your windows as window boxes? :lol:

A good example.. :-D

CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Oooh, novelty light fitting might be interesting, :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:44 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Brilliant! But then I saw the photo - even better :thumbup:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)