You are here

Any suggestions on how I could have improved this?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Any suggestions on how I could have improved this?

Postby rwcahoon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:25 pm

Recorded my daughter and brother singing this on YouTube. Looking for ideas on what would have made it sound better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmFNOvQH0f4

Thanks!
rwcahoon

Re: Any suggestions on how I could have improved this?

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 pm

Really not my style, or genre, and I've very little experience in this, but to me the thing that doesn't really work for me is that the piano and the vocals sound like they're in different places. And the piano sounds more forward than the vocals. I'm not sure what your reverb set up was but I'd be looking to put a lot more distance on the piano so that it was sitting behind the vocals.
Other, smarter people may be along with better opinions shortly...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Less autotune. Much less. Seriously, that's not enough - turn it down some more

A slightly longer reverb might be good. Or a subtle long delay.

I'd also pull the stereo field in a bit.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Wonks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 pm

It's recorded in a pro (or at least an excellent semi-pro) studio. Look at the other video linked to in the text. A sit stands, I'd suggest this is here just to get more YouTube views.

Yes, I too hate obvious autotune, but it's what's in vogue at the moment, unfortunately, and is actually quite mild compared to a lot of tunes out there.

If the OP is really serious about this, it would be nice if there was a lot more detail provided about the recording. We'd be interested.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 pm

+1 on the Auto-Tune, especially on the harmony sections.

Other than that I don't have a problem with it on the engineering and mixing front, really. I do wonder if (a) the arrangement could develop a bit more, and (b) whether the key really works for both singers. He sounds strained on his high notes, in particular.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 am

For these kinds of slow songs, *definitely* more reverb. There's plenty of space for it. Otherwise the beginning sounds like one of these initial selections for Idol.

Very few voices can stand a naked performance (autotuned or not) and the short decay and reverberation of the piano doesn't help either.

+1 that it's probably just fishing for pages views, but fair enough - one should be putting something excellent out tough so that when I'm fished, I go "ohhhhhhhhhh" and not "meh" :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:47 am

Overall I think it's nice but I'd rethink the whole vox presentation. The 'verb doesn't work for me at all and there's no sense of a performance per se, I mean the keys sound almost like a karaoke, though I don't intend that to be mean, just that it doesn't gel for me. The Fvox are a tad sibilant. The auto-tune isn't really necessary and detracts from the voices and perhaps his EQ is a bit squeeny?

I agree with prior comments on stereo field too. The sound stage isn't really compelling.

All that said, I think everyone involved should take a bow, especially for having the courage to ask!
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:37 am

My first thought was that it's very nice but more attention to the performances would lift it more than any more processing. But, I'm assuming they are talented amateurs rather than pros (otherwise why record this kind of cover) and the video is not intended to be aimed at A&R guys or X Factor. So if it's for friends and family, well done, it really is very nice. If it's an attempt to get a leg up into the profession, work on the performances being stronger and more confident.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:40 am

Wonks wrote:I too hate obvious autotune, but it's what's in vogue at the moment, unfortunately, and is actually quite mild compared to a lot of tunes out there.

Just sampling bits of it on a PC, but, yes. I've been completely desensitised to Autotune by listening to stuff like Michael Bublé (against my will), so I'm just used to its lavish use now. And the fact that the video currently has over 700 likes with people praising their voices to the skies, and only two dislikes, indicate that most punters don't care.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Not sure that it's 'don't care', I think it could easily be that this is how they think it should sound - such is the extent of its use in commercial music.
A friend of mine who teaches music says that she's increasingly finding that kids are singing with a sort of artificial autotune-style in their delivery. Because that's how it sounds... :headbang:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:58 pm

blinddrew wrote:Not sure that it's 'don't care', I think it could easily be that this is how they think it should sound - such is the extent of its use in commercial music.

Yep, agreed...and there is a place for it, of course; it's perfectly valid. It's simply an artistic choice. Personally I hate it on Bublé, though I guess other people must like it.

He's a gregarious young man who, contrary to what his publicist thinks, isn't at all shy when it comes to speaking about Auto-Tune. "I think it's brilliant," he tells me, surprisingly buoyant. "For a pop song, I love it."

For the multiple Grammy and Juno winner, affection for Auto-Tune is not so much a genuine embrace of the technology as a matter of how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb. "I need to get on pop radio," he explains. "And if my songs don't sound like all the other songs, I'm not getting on pop radio."

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/mu ... e11420371/

(...and that was way back in 2013...)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:50 pm

And that's pretty hard to argue with!
blinddrew
Jedi Poster