You are here

Vocal fades in soon as the hook start's only on phone speaker's

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Vocal fades in soon as the hook start's only on phone speaker's

Postby marleycs » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:31 pm

For some reason when the hook comes in, the first bar of the vocal fades in instead of just being there - sound's as if there was a fade put on it (it wasn't) or there's a compressor with a slow attack (tried having no processing on the vocal but still present) but you can only hear it on a phone speaker or a little bit on a laptop speaker anything and it's fine

Really hope someone can help as i'm all out of idea's!

I can leave a soundcloud link if anyone need's to hear to better understand.

Thanks, Marley
marleycs
New here

Re: Vocal fades in soon as the hook start's only on phone speaker's

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:26 am

It would really help to hear it. Have you tried listening to your mix in mono in the studio?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby marleycs » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:48 am

I have and from what i can re call i still couldn't hear it in the studio - i'll try again tomorrow to see if i could hear it but i'm pretty sure i couldn't

But here's the link anyway

https://soundcloud.com/mcssound/diamond-mix/s-AXoEc

Thank's for the reply
marleycs
New here

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:12 am

A lot of phones have automatic limiting set ON as default for hearing protection. Maybe this could be the cause of the problem?

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby marleycs » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:16 am

Yeah I did read that somewhere but I couldn’t figure out how that would only effect the vocal? And if so, how to resolve it - I do feel like that has something to do with it as on every other device it’s fine but any ideas on how to fix it?
marleycs
New here

Postby DXL4bass » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:24 am

The fade in doesn't appear when I listen to the song on studio monitors or on my studio headphones via the computer,

I looked into the Apple forum and this is what I saw related to the matter. Are you listening to the song on an iPhone?

" theanalogkid
Sep 28, 2016 2:34 PM (in response to Ed217)

The fade in you're experiencing with iOS 10 on the newer device is suppose to happen. But only when the audio system is initialized in the speaker route after a previous receiver route. Assume you're on a phone call (receiver up to your ear) but were previously listening to music - the phone call ends - you don't want the music to start up again and immediately blast audio into your ear when the call interruption ends and the music player resumes - so, that first time audio starts back up, a fade in will happen. If you've found that this isn't the case or the feature doesn't behave in a way that's intuitive, please file a bug report letting us know how we can refine the user experience."

Peace 8-)
DXL4bass

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:56 am

marleycs wrote:Yeah I did read that somewhere but I couldn’t figure out how that would only effect the vocal? And if so, how to resolve it - I do feel like that has something to do with it as on every other device it’s fine but any ideas on how to fix it?

Hm.. how do your meters look when the vocals come in? If it's a built-in compressor, and before the vocals you're already very high in level, it can simply be that the vocals push the level over the threshold? You may also want to check with a truepeak meter.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:51 pm

I had a similar thing with some stuff I was working on last year. Sounded ok at home, checked it at work and it was compressed to snot! Turned out my laptop had some native software on that was playing havoc with it. Switching that off returned things to normal.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby marleycs » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Hey guy's, sorry for the long reply been finishing up the mix.

I managed to patch it up by taking a different cut from a different vocal and that fixed it completely, i think - it still faded in a little bit when i first did it but the more i mixed the rest of the song the last apparent it was.

I do remember after recording, looking at my gain and thinking that's a bit much, so i do think it was recording the vocal a bit too hot so i'll make sure i double check next time i record and hope it doesn't happen again.

Thank's for the help anyway, really appreciate it!
marleycs
New here

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...