You are here

Can't make the Reverse macro in Cubase from this SOS article work.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Can't make the Reverse macro in Cubase from this SOS article work.

Postby Headlands » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:10 am

I'm on Cubase 10 and did everything exactly as this article describes below in the third macro (to make a macro that creates a reverse reverb version of whatever is selected in an audio track). It doesn't work -- it seems to not process the reverb. Will this macro not work in C10 due to direct offline processing, or something else?

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ins-cubase
Headlands
New here
Cubase 10

Re: Can't make the Reverse macro in Cubase from this SOS article work.

Postby Mixedup » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi Headlands. I just checked this in Cubase 10 and it's working for me... One thing that did throw me at first is that you must have both the track and the desired range selected. If you use the range tool but don't have the relevant track selected too, then it won't work.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Headlands » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:12 am

Mixedup wrote:Hi Headlands. I just checked this in Cubase 10 and it's working for me... One thing that did throw me at first is that you must have both the track and the desired range selected. If you use the range tool but don't have the relevant track selected too, then it won't work.

Huh! It totally doesn't work for me. I tried what you suggested, but had the same result. Not sure what I'm doing wrong -- I triple-checked and have the exact same Macros entered in, in the same order. No idea what the issue could be. :-( The problem is that it doesn't apply Revelation, or whatever plug-in I use for that command.
Headlands
New here
Cubase 10

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 am

Presumably you need to have REVelation (or your reverb program of choice) loaded on the track as an insert, so that you've already picked your reverb type and set your mix depth etc? Otherwise if it worked without the reverb plug-in being set up, you'd have no control over it at all and always get the default setting.

The reverb insert can then be deleted or bypassed afterwards, as you wouldn't want to re-process the track with standard reverb once you've got a backwards version. And on the reverse reverb track, for the same reason on the channel sends, you wouldn't send it to your normal reverb FX channels.

If this is the case (or something similar), then may I suggest the web article gets updated to mention this fact.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Zukan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am

Can we get any extended functionality using Macros - much liker scripting in Reaper?
Zukan

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 am

I'm no expert but John Walden described them as being just a list of key commands that you can invoke with one keypress. So you can certainly get some time saving, but no real extra functionality.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Yes, it's 'just' a list of key commands... but those key commands can be assigned to your own custom Project Logical Editor presets, and to your own custom Macros too. So you can actually construct Macros to perform some quite sophisticated operations. It's not as flexible as Reaper's scripting support, but then you don't have to learn a scripting language in order to make things happen!

I wrote an SOS article fairly recently which attempted to create a more complex macro — largely in order to demonstrate the possibilities and limitations of Cubase's Macro system. You might find it helpful if you want to know more about it...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Headlands wrote:Huh! It totally doesn't work for me. I tried what you suggested, but had the same result. Not sure what I'm doing wrong -- I triple-checked and have the exact same Macros entered in, in the same order. No idea what the issue could be. :-( The problem is that it doesn't apply Revelation, or whatever plug-in I use for that command.

Weird. I know John Walden uses a Mac these days. As do I. Are you on Mac or Windows? Can you post a link to a screenshot of your Macro? There are some similarly named functions, so it might be that you've included one of those in error? Or could it be a bug on the Windows version?!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Wonks wrote:Presumably you need to have REVelation (or your reverb program of choice) loaded on the track as an insert

Nope. It's a destructive offline process. You can apply any plug-in setting in this way in Cubase if you prefer. It's the same plug-ins but separate from the main channel inserts.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm

So do you need to set up the effect parameters using macros? Or does the name of the reverb you use have to refer to the name of an FX track you've already got?
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:50 pm

You can configure it in a few different ways via the Direct Offline Processing dialogue. This dialogue has a tickbox which allows you to decide whether the plug-in/process is applied automatically, or whether it waits for you to tweak and then click to apply. If it's automatic, it applies the default preset. Of course, you can bring up any plug-in and save any setting as the default. You can also specify the length of tail for the processing and so forth.

In this dialogue you can also set up offline-processing presets, comprising various plug-in settings and other offline processes. And you can save these as favourites, a number of which can be accessed directly via the Macro facility. In fact, this is probably the best way to create a reverse reverb — save a favourite comprising a reverse, reverb and reverse, and access that favourite directly via the Macro.

You can also apply FX chains and channel presets, though for some reason these particularly useful functions don't appear to be listed in the commands that can be accessed via Macros. D'oh!

Most of what isn't accessible via Macros is accessible via Cubase's Generic Remote facility... (I have a burning desire to see the key commands, macro, generic remote and project logical editor functions merged in a future update!)
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby SFGreen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:09 am

Mixedup wrote:
Headlands wrote:Huh! It totally doesn't work for me. I tried what you suggested, but had the same result. Not sure what I'm doing wrong -- I triple-checked and have the exact same Macros entered in, in the same order. No idea what the issue could be. :-( The problem is that it doesn't apply Revelation, or whatever plug-in I use for that command.

Weird. I know John Walden uses a Mac these days. As do I. Are you on Mac or Windows? Can you post a link to a screenshot of your Macro? There are some similarly named functions, so it might be that you've included one of those in error? Or could it be a bug on the Windows version?!

So I tried this too and it didn't work initially. What appears to happen is that Cubase deletes the 'Process Plug-in: REVelation' key command from the macro after you tried applying the macro without the plug-in already loaded. I tried this with a Valhalla reverb and the exact same thing happens. That led me to searching The Interwebs and finding this thread and I followed Wonks' advice and pre-loaded REVelation on the original vocal track and Viola! I got the Direct offline processing dialogue with the Reverse, REVelation, Reverse processing lines loaded in the left pane.

So Mixedup, were you saying that REVelation should auto-load when the macro is executed, and that you don't need to insert it first? That's what I initially thought would happen, obviously. It would seem that manually inserting the plug-in is the way that works.

Thanks guys!
SFGreen
Poster

Postby SFGreen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:17 am

Mixedup wrote:Yes, it's 'just' a list of key commands... but those key commands can be assigned to your own custom Project Logical Editor presets, and to your own custom Macros too. So you can actually construct Macros to perform some quite sophisticated operations. It's not as flexible as Reaper's scripting support, but then you don't have to learn a scripting language in order to make things happen!

I wrote an SOS article fairly recently which attempted to create a more complex macro — largely in order to demonstrate the possibilities and limitations of Cubase's Macro system. You might find it helpful if you want to know more about it...

Thanks for pointing the article out. I didn't read it at the time, because I am new to Cubase and was focusing on the basics and didn't want to get distracted. I'm getting up to speed now, so it would be a good time to dive in so thanks for the reminder!
Cheers
SFGreen
Poster