You are here

Need tips on mixing and recording vocals

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Need tips on mixing and recording vocals

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Sounds about right........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 pm

manhattan wrote:
The room acoustics are definitely important, often more important than the Mic yes. That being said If its close mic music or if you get close to the mic then, of course, the room can be minimized or nearly eliminated, especially with the loudness of most Masters these days.

Just as a note, side reflections and the filtering they induce still matters also when you close mic.

Also, what is release quality though? This term could vary greatly in each person's definition of it.

Funny thing, I used to be adamant it wasn't gear dependent, but have since changed my opinion a bit.

Release quality is anything that listeners think it is . It's not a property of the recording, but a property of the listeners - and it changes over time and what listeners are used to. And of course the sound quality is a relatively small part of a release.

Personally to do Vocals without a good preamp compressor is pointless, or rather its just rough copy stuff or demo quality stuff

But this is just not true. 144db of dynamic range don't necessarily need any compression in input, and there's plenty of people nowadays who records without.

A different thing is, of course, a subjective taste for what a compressor does to what the singer listens in the cans. For intimate songs, for example, I love singing thru the 1176, since it tells me immediately how breathing and noises between words and whispers etc come out and I can adjust my performance instinctively on that. For an epic rock song, or even a plain pop one, I couldn't care less. It really depends on what you're after.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:03 pm

OP is yet another ex-forum member gone to the great spam-bin in the sky. I'll leave the thread open as the contributions from the good guys will be of interest and help to genuine forum readers.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:OP is yet another ex-forum member gone to the great spam-bin in the sky. I'll leave the thread open as the contributions from the good guys will be of interest and help to genuine forum readers.

H

Many thanks for that Hugh as I need to multitrack vocals by Jeff Rosen.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Still Vibrations wrote:Many thanks for that Hugh as I need to multitrack vocals by Jeff Rosen.

:lol: :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, raising money for charity via music created by forum members at https://sosforumalbum.bandcamp.com

Previous