You are here

How to connect Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors to laptop?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How to connect Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors to laptop?

Postby Saxon0192 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:09 am

Hi,

I bought a pair of Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors to use with Ableton Live on my laptop. I know next to nothing about these things but from what I can tell I need an audio interface to plug them into and then plug the interface into my laptop. I'm not sure what kind of cable I need to buy in order to plug them into an audio interface?

Also, what kind of interface should I be looking at if I'm only using studio monitors? I don't plan to use any microphones/recording devices/instruments, I'm only making instrumentals using sound packs/digital instruments. I really just need to know what I need to get these monitors working with my laptop/Ableton Live and how to put it together.

Thank you!
Saxon0192
New here

Re: How to connect Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors to laptop?

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:51 pm

To be on the safe side I would look for an interface with balanced outputs which will help to avoid any potential problems with ground loops. I was going to suggest the Zoom U22 but it turns out that it only has unbalanced outputs. The next model up, the U24, would work but has quite a few features on the input side that you don't need. Another option looks like the M-Audio M-Track hub which is about the same price as the U22 but is playback only.

You could also go up-market with devices from people like Benchmark, Lavry and Grace Designs but they're not cheap (although very good quality).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Saxon0192 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll look into those. Could you also tell me what kind of cable I need to plug the monitors into an audio interface? I'm just starting out with all this.
Saxon0192
New here

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:58 pm

It depends on the audio interface that you choose but most interfaces with balanced outputs use TRS jacks so you would need 2 TRS to TRS jack cables of a suitable length. Check the connections on your chosen interface before buying though.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:01 am

Most audio interfaces use 1/4" TRS balanced jack outputs for the speakers. So if that's what your interface comes with, then you can use either 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cables, or a 1/4" TRS to XLR cable (page 5 and 8 of the user manual).

If your audio interface only has RCA DIN connectors, then you'll either need RCA to 1/4" TS cables or RCA to RCA cables with a DIN to 1/4"TS jack converter at the monitor end (manual page 5).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:25 am

Welcome! :thumbup:

I have a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 interface. Very simple, but punches above its weight. £30-£35.

You'd need TRS (Balanced) jack leads for that to connect to your speakers - TRS plug on each end.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:35 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Welcome! :thumbup:

I have a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 interface. Very simple, but punches above its weight. £30-£35.

You'd need TRS (Balanced) jack leads for that to connect to your speakers - TRS plug on each end.

Hi Mike. The UMC22 has a maximum output of only 0dBu* and I read only a couple of weeks ago elsewhere about a chap struggling for level from the interface and even the more expensive interfaces in the range only get some 3dB hotter. Might be a problem. Might not but the more usual max level from even budget AIs is around +10dBu.

*Equates to 0.775 volts. +10dBu is around 2.3V. Sorry to get "technical" chap but this is the kitchen you are cooking in! You don't need to learn a lot of jargon/tech stuff but you will need some. Plenty of folks here to guide you through it.

The M-Audio 2x2 delivers +7dBu (1.7V) and is £79. Also has a nice big knob on top for output control. Believe me, you want that! TRS outs.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Saxon0192 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks so much for the clear/detailed explanations and taking the time to help! :) Much appreciated
Saxon0192
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:18 am

ef37a wrote:The UMC22 has a maximum output of only 0dBu* and I read only a couple of weeks ago elsewhere about a chap struggling for level from the interface and even the more expensive interfaces in the range only get some 3dB hotter. Might be a problem.

It's not usually a problem when feeding active monitors, especially when working with minimal headroom mixes! In fact the reverse can be true -- outputs from some interfaces can be too hot to allow sensible monitoring levels with some active monitors!

I have a set of custom 10dB balanced pads in the feed for one of my nearfield monitoring systems for that very reason!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:25 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
ef37a wrote:The UMC22 has a maximum output of only 0dBu* and I read only a couple of weeks ago elsewhere about a chap struggling for level from the interface and even the more expensive interfaces in the range only get some 3dB hotter. Might be a problem.

It's not usually a problem when feeding active monitors, especially when working with minimal headroom mixes! In fact the reverse can be true -- outputs from some interfaces can be too hot to allow sensible monitoring levels with some active monitors!

I have a set of custom 10dB balanced pads in the feed for one of my nearfield monitoring systems for that very reason!

H

Not often a problem I agree Hugh but I did say I read of a situation where it was.

I would aver most "budget" AIs run around +10dBu for 0dBfs and I have not read of any issues with that level. 775mV max seems very low for the want of an SMT op amp!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:28 am

Sure... Just didn't want the OP to worry unnecessarily during their first foray into this arena.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ef37a » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Sure... Just didn't want the OP to worry unnecessarily during their first foray into this arena.

H

We are on the same songsheet Hugh! I did not want the OP to buy something with a "non-standard" signal level and have a problem that way. People buy the Steinbergs, Tascams and F'rites in their thousands and yes, we see ground loop issues but I can never recall a LEVEL problem except the one guy with the Behringer.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:28 am

OP: If you just want something to get the sound from your laptop into the speakers you'll be absolutely fine with the Behringer I've suggested. I use mine for the same thing as you want to do. Of course, you could spend more, but you'll be paying for facilities that you don't need. Should you think that in the foreseeable future you might use the interface to record as well as play-back then the advice might be different.

Forgive the digression into electronics-speak... we do get a bit carried away sometimes! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:03 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:OP: If you just want something to get the sound from your laptop into the speakers you'll be absolutely fine with the Behringer I've suggested. I use mine for the same thing as you want to do. Of course, you could spend more, but you'll be paying for facilities that you don't need. Should you think that in the foreseeable future you might use the interface to record as well as play-back then the advice might be different.

Forgive the digression into electronics-speak... we do get a bit carried away sometimes! :lol:

Well it is what makes 'em work Mike! What monitors are you driving with the Berry box as a matter of interest please?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:16 pm

ef37a wrote:What monitors are you driving with the Berry box as a matter of interest please?

Dave.

Various as I use the Behringer on location... but my 'studio' monitors are KRK VXT4s... level controls set around the '0' mark and the Behringer level control at about 60% of the travel. However, in the 'studio' I also have a monitor-controller in the chain which I'm usually running at about -30dB to -20dB. TBH all these levels are somewhat academic as far as I'm concerned. I've just set things so that all control are at the mid-point (ish) of their travel for day to day use. If it sounds right...

Talking of output levels... I used to have a little Yamaha mixer... very hot outputs if the meters were doing what they're s'posed to... would drive lots of gear into distortion.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Yes Mike, most of the small mixers will chuck out +20dBu . My A&H z10 was way too hot feeding a 2496 card if you ran the meters at around 0vu.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Saxon0192 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:40 am

I find that the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is suggested a lot, would there be any major issues with that?
Saxon0192
New here

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 am

Saxon0192 wrote:I find that the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 is suggested a lot, would there be any major issues with that?

No, it would be unusual to have a problem but, you can never say "never" with the vast number of permutations of AIs, PCs and monitors but the worst case is a possible hum loop problem and Martin has a link all about that!

The 2i2 is an excellent interface but there are several AS good and a bit cheaper and with MIDI ports but then the lack of the latter is a bit of a hobby horse of mine!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 am

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro24 (it's firewire, the Scarlett range are, more or less, the USB equivalents) and it's fine, preamps are plenty good enough for my needs and it seems very well built.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........