You are here

Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Neumann KH120 A monitors - any negative opinions or reviews?

Postby MeJ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:55 pm

John Willett wrote:
You are not supposed to enjoy listening to monitors. :mrgreen: :beamup:

This!

MeJ
MeJ
New here

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Maybe not even a little bit? :lol:

Mixing for 15+ years on small Genelecs with sub in a small room. When the mix is finally right I enjoy them very much. I also enjoy using them for listening to the latest YouTube music offerings and Netflix mixes.

The Genelec people were very helpful when I couldn’t get the sub balanced properly in my small room and my mixes translate well to pro mixing rooms. The sub ended up in a very odd place in the room. So as mentioned on SOS many times - you learn your room and monitors. But I am curious about these KH120’s.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:15 pm

I enjoy listening to all my monitors... But I don't always enjoy what I hear through them! :-)

Listening to well crafted mixes is an absolute joy. The challenge is to find -- and even more so to make -- well crafted mixes.

I'd say the KH120s are very neutral-sounding, which some might interpret as dull or even boring in comparison to some other brands which might tend to be a bit more mid-forward or bass-heavy. They certainly don't present music with any hype, anyway, and mixing through them is hard work because they reveal any weaknesses pretty clearly.

But in fairness, different people respond to what they hear in different ways, and the monitor speakers are just tools, so all that really matters is whether your preferred speakers enable you to make good reliable mixes that travel well. Some people can achieve that with NS10s (I'm not one of them!). Others can do it with headphones (I'm not one of them either!). Others find Genelecs, or Focals, or Ambiphons do it for them... I happen to find the more neutral monitors suit my ears, so brands like PMC, Neumann, Harbeth, Geithain and others... Each to their own I say!

H,
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby John Willett » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:..... so brands like PMC, Neumann, Harbeth, Geithain and others...

These are the ones that are always at the top of my list and I would add ATC to make my top-5. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:59 am

John Willett wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:..... so brands like PMC, Neumann, Harbeth, Geithain and others...

These are the ones that are always at the top of my list and I would add ATC to make my top-5. :thumbup:

Yes, please do - ATC monitors have been my preferred choice for many years now, even if I can only afford the smallest ones ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Bunk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:47 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote: But in fairness, different people respond to what they hear in different ways, and the monitor speakers are just tools, so all that really matters is whether your preferred speakers enable you to make good reliable mixes that travel well. Some people can achieve that with NS10s (I'm not one of them!). Others can do it with headphones (I'm not one of them either!).

... Each to their own I say!

H,

I'm pleased to read that! I've got cheap Tascams which I've had for years but I'd like to think they serve me well. I still think occasionally about replacing / upgrading but funds are a bit tight and anyway, probably more importantly, I've grown so accustomed to them that I now consider them to be highly reliable for me. Most of my work is done using decent headphones and I only go to the monitors at the last stages of the production (providing I remember to switch over as per my "Schoolboy error" post!!).
I recently changed my hi-fi speakers having had the original pair for several years, and I've still not got used to the new ones. And it's not like they're poor quality.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'd say the KH120s... certainly don't present music with any hype, anyway, and mixing through them is hard work because they reveal any weaknesses pretty clearly.

An exception is a mild tendency to "one note bass". It may not be noticed on a flat monitor, but on another cheaper speaker with the same exaggerated bass response at the problem note, the effect will double and may then be an issue. On the other hand, another cheap speaker might have the exact complementary bass response, evening the problem out perfectly, but you wouldnt want to count on it.

In the end there's no substitute for listening attentively to even excellent monitors like these for any tendency for unevenness that has slipped through into the mix. The monitors cant do this for us.

https://youtu.be/_ym-CAzJa_M
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Previous