You are here

Overhang of monitors on monitor stands - acceptable or not?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Overhang of monitors on monitor stands - acceptable or not?

Postby samuk » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi,

I’m setting up a home project studio and I am thinking of buying a pair of Neumann KH 120A monitors and a pair of K & M 26740 monitor stands.

My issue is the length of the monitors will overhang the baseplate of the stands slightly, by 25mm. Does anyone think this will be an issue for the monitors staying on securely (they will simply rest on rubber pads on the baseplate)?

The width of the baseplate is slightly wider than the monitor (only by 23mm however), by 11.5mm on each side.

Also, is blue tack in all corners a secure enough way of keeping the monitors on the baseplate? Or are there any other ways? There are brackets available from K & M but these cost more than the stands themselves so I would rather avoid buying them.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
samuk
Poster

Re: Overhang of monitors on monitor stands - acceptable or not?

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 pm

I'd prefer stands with tops bigger than the monitors. Blu tac is a great way of mounting speakers to stands of the right height, and you want the mounting points right at the very corners where the cabinet will vibrate at a minimum. Leave the monitors untouched for a couple of months and you won't pull the monitors off the stand without substantial force. After a year or so you may well need to use a lever!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Wonks wrote:Blu tac is a great way of mounting speakers to stands of the right height, and you want the mounting points right at the very corners where the cabinet will vibrate at a minimum. Leave the monitors untouched for a couple of months and you won't pull the monitors off the stand without substantial force. After a year or so you may well need to use a lever!

Yep. I recently relocated my monitors and it was a major effort to get them separated from the stands after being joined (4 little blobs each, under the corners) for 6+ years. I had no idea blu tac could grip so hard.

I didn't try it of course but I suspect in all seriousness that I could have inverted the stands and the monitors, which weigh 12.2kg (26.9lbs) each, would have remained suspended underneath them if held off the floor.

It was also very satisfying to peel the blu tac off the stands and the base of the monitors while noting how pristine both surfaces were during the process and afterwards. It's as if the blu tac had never been there.

Great stuff!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:21 pm

samuk wrote:My issue is the length of the monitors will overhang the baseplate of the stands slightly, by 25mm. Does anyone think this will be an issue for the monitors staying on securely

No, it won't be a problem, although you will need to check the balance point of the speaker to make sure the centre-of-gravity is directly above the stand's support post. And securing with three or four small blobs of blu-tak is fine -- it's what I do.

However, if people are likely to be brushing past the speakers at all, the risk of toppling them off the stand is greater, and some straps around the speaker/base plate would be better from a 'health and safety' point of view.

As for the K&M stands, while I like most of K&Ms products, I really don't like single-post speaker stands in the studio. I'm yet to find one that doesn't wobble, and you really don't want wobbly studio monitor stands.

Instead, I'd look for something that has a more rigid construction with two, three, or four pillars supporting the top plate... such as these (just as an example):

http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/c/speaker-stands_hms-series-reference-speaker-stands

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Deluxe-Studio-Monitor-Speaker-Stands-Pair/17G5

There are plenty of alternatives if you look around...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby samuk » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks very much for your replies Wonks, Eddy and Hugh!

I am now going to get the ones at Gear4Music that you linked to Hugh, they have a much bigger baseplate and I definitely don’t want them to wobble.

Thanks again Hugh - you’ve said me some money, wobbling and the anxiety that the monitors might end up crashing to the floor :lol:
samuk
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Slightly OT but can I get an opinion about "spikes" please?

I recently acquired a pair of Mission 770s and they came with spikes which I promptly removed! I always though that from both a nuisance and clean bass point of view the very last thing you would want is intimate coupling with the floorboards?

Mine now sit on carpet over board (old wooden ones) and although they are not of course "monitors" sound pretty bloody good!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:15 pm

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/understanding-speaker-stands-platforms

I think the answer is 'it depends'. You don't want the stands to be on carpet so soft that you can rock the stands. Spikes may couple to the floorboards but will normally provide a more stable stand, and it will depend on the location and design of the floorboards as to whether they noticeably resonate or not. A paving slab under each stand might be the best solution with floorboards.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Brian M Rose » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:24 pm

+inf for making sure your monitor isn't going to topple off the stand.
This is exactly what happened to me with a 24" Broadcast HDTV Monitor. Someone moved the rather tall trolley and that was it. £20K worth of monitor hit the ground!
Lesson rapidly learned.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:09 pm

ef37a wrote:Slightly OT but can I get an opinion about "spikes" please?

It's easy enough to try with and without and see which you prefer, but hard to give a definitive yay/nay because the results vary enormously with the surface and structure under the spikes.

But in an disturbingly consistent manner, I also agree with Wonks' suggestion of laying a heavy paving slab on the carpet and spike the speaker/stand on to that.... I've done that on several occasions with bouncy wooden floors with great success... Although it hasn't always received full domestic approval. :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Brian M Rose wrote:+inf for making sure your monitor isn't going to topple off the stand.
This is exactly what happened to me with a 24" Broadcast HDTV Monitor. Someone moved the rather tall trolley and that was it. £20K worth of monitor hit the ground!
Lesson rapidly learned.

Ouch! That's a lot of paperwork! :x

There's a pic in this feature article showing how the beeb added clips to the small Dynaudio speakers to fix them securely to the stands.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/behind-scenes-bbc-radio-3s-tune
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Brian M Rose » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ouch! That's a lot of paperwork! :x

There's a pic in this feature article showing how the beeb added clips to the small Dynaudio speakers to fix them securely to the stands.

Yes, lesson learned, and one repaired (VERY expensive CRT) on a lower trolley with two straps!
Thanks for the article about BBC Radio 3. Rather amusing compared with my 'In a Classical Mood' at Radio Harrow; just me, a cold studio, Myriad and a laptop. But in all seriousness, there is some quite excellent output being produced by nearly 300 Hospital Radio Stations. When they are good, they are very very good.
And coming back to the original post. we recently changed our speakers for outside events to columns, partially to reduce the risk of people tripping over high speaker stands. In the studios themselves, absolutely minimum trip hazards.
Brian M Rose
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:37 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Image

Off-topic, but am I the only person who finds this photo disturbing? Like the Penrose triangle ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A small fish in a small pond.

Postby Zukan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:41 am

Wouldn't it be great if some manufacturer built stands with rotating tops that can then be fixed into the appropriate position? Hell, they could even build them with 60 degree lines to align with your desk. Would save me hours of fiddling about with angles and 'asking mates for help'.
Zukan

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:55 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:Image

Off-topic, but am I the only person who finds this photo disturbing? Like the Penrose triangle ...

CC

Yes CC... I can sense some mystical properties in these stands. I had to lay down when I first saw Hugh's post... :beamup:
Humble Bee
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 am

Zukan wrote:Wouldn't it be great if some manufacturer built stands with rotating tops that can then be fixed into the appropriate position? Hell, they could even built them with 60 degree lines to align with your desk. Would save me hours of fiddling about with angles and 'asking mates for help'.

You could take a small TV/monitor swivel bracket and mount it atop a stand then a bit of 18mm MDF to interface with the monitor's base, blu tak and you have a lockable system to align the speakers?

My Tannoy 5As are wall mounted, only way to go, on speaker brackets that can be adjusted in 2 planes. I had occasion to remove one 6 months ago it having been there over 4 years and I can confirm that BT does indeed grab like **** to a hearthrug!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:18 am

:lol: I see what you mean!

With the point of the base on the left of the picture facing forward, the top plate is then square with the desk (or whatever) in front!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Humble Bee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:39 am

Clever stand!

When one side of the triangular foot is parallel to the desk the square top sits at 60° to the desk... :ugeek:
Humble Bee
Regular