You are here

Snowmobile & Helicopter problems

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Snowmobile & Helicopter problems

Postby Andybody » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Hello,
i'm currently mixing a short film which has the ending scene - a helicopter is chasing a snowmobile in low altitude. Both of which sounds more or less like a whitenoise and eat up alot of the sound spectrum.

On top sits some music with alot of power and energy, think - a classic action scene with brass and string staccatos with rumbling orchestral drums.

There are also a few short dialogs here and there.
I'm having a hard time mixing this together. What should be prioritized? Music or vehicle sound?
To EQ away some of the vehicle sound does kind of take the oumph away from the scene. Suggestions are very welcome!
Andybody

Re: Snowmobile & Helicopter problems

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm

massive caveat: I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about in this context.*

I would suspect you'll need to work out what's driving the bottom end and prioritise that initially, that may mean picking which ever low end instrument is providing the heartbeat of the scene then carving away the other instruments to make space for the engine noises to come in and out to support the onscreen action.
And don't forget the old trick of dropping stuff out just before a hit to emphasise the impact.

Also, when sucking eggs, first make a hole in the top with a needle... ;)

*But it's an internet forum so I feel completely qualified to offer advice anyway. :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...