You are here

How to get the most from Audio recorded in Mid/Side

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

How to get the most from Audio recorded in Mid/Side

Postby Station Road » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Over the years I've been buying Sound On Sound I've read plenty of articles on how to record SoloAcoustic Guitar and the like using Mid/Side mic techniques, but once recorded I've seen very little on different processing techniques. For instance, should I have different levels of Compression for the 'Side' compared to the 'mid'? Can I send different levels of mid/side to a reverb channel? Or different EQ processing for the mid/side...... It would be very useful to see an in depth article on mixing Mid/Side channels for individual 'Tracks' or solo instruments.

Tommy,
Isle of Man.
Station Road

Re: How to get the most from Audio recorded in Mid/Side

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:31 pm

There really is no 'should'.

You can essentially do whatever makes your ears sing. For acoustic guitar I'd often lower the sides and roll off the lows there. Sometimes I'll compress mid, but not sides... It really is all about 'it depends' - and only you, your ears and the needs of your mix can dictate how you approach this.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Station Road wrote:For instance, should I have different levels of Compression for the 'Side' compared to the 'mid'? Can I send different levels of mid/side to a reverb channel? Or different EQ processing for the mid/side......

There are no rules and you can do more or less anything you like that delivers a sound you like -- provided you remain aware of, and happy with, the resulting mono compatibility.

Remember, it's the ratio of M to S that determines the perceived stereo width. So anything you do to make the Side channel louder/stronger will increase the width, and vice versa. And that can be frequency-selective if you apply EQ to one or other side of the MS signal.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Get your spectrum analyser to display both mid and side plots. Great way of checking the balance between the two.
Zukan