You are here

Mixing help

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mixing help

Postby mickeyderon » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Looking for someone to mix my tracks but I have very little money. Any volunteers ?

Or any cheap but reliable solutions.

I'm trying to learn mixing tracks but I find it pretty tiresome.
mickeyderon
Poster

Re: Mixing help

Postby blinddrew » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi Mickeyderon, Welcome to the forum. :)
It might be useful if you give us a few more details and we might be able to come up with some suggestions. So to kick us off:
When you say you're finding it tiresome, do you mean you're struggling to make progress, or that actually you're not really interested in it as an activity?
What kind of music is it? (rough genre is fine)
What software are you using / have you used so far?
Where are you based? (There are folks who do 1:1 tuition here who are very good, charge a very reasonable rate, and are very mobile).
Cheers,
Drew
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Welcome, Mickeyderon!

Another option if you're interested would be to send in one of your projects to our Mix Rescue column, where we take problem tracks and try to show how they can be sorted out. PM me or Matt Houghton if you're interested, or email sam AT soundonsound DOT com.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Matt Houghton » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Welcome, Mickeyderon!

Another option if you're interested would be to send in one of your projects to our Mix Rescue column, where we take problem tracks and try to show how they can be sorted out. PM me or Matt Houghton if you're interested, or email sam AT soundonsound DOT com.

Yes, please do if you think we can help/advise... (I'm matt AT soundonsound DOT com)
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby mickeyderon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:51 am

Hello everyone and thanks for the replies :thumbup:

I thought I'd try to answer the questions posted.

When you say you're finding it tiresome, do you mean you're struggling to make progress, or that actually you're not really interested in it as an activity?

I think it's a bit of both, I enjoy the kind of 'professional' seal of approval from an established/experienced mixer. I know there is no such thing as the perfect mix however I always think it's good for someone to have a fresh pair of ears so that as a producer the mixing process doesn't get stale. Obviously you're spending so much time creating your tracks/remixes, to mix them as well can become a bit frustrating.
I have worked with mixers before where they've mixed it the way they think it should be mixed and this has gone back and forth between the two of us until I'm happy and they agree that it won't get any better in terms of their professional opinion.

What kind of music is it? (rough genre is fine)

Music wise I make house in all it's various subgenres, occasionally some rave, drum n bass, disco, 80's funk/soul but basically very dance based.

What software are you using / have you used so far?
I'm on Cubase 5 (I know !) but it's all I got and works well for me and from the tutorials I have seen on mixing your tracks is perfectly usable with the standard plugins.

Where are you based? (There are folks who do 1:1 tuition here who are very good, charge a very reasonable rate, and are very mobile).
West Midlands based.

Regarding the MixRescue column that would be great but I may prefer to do that privately as I like to keep my music private so no one nicks my ideas for tracks lol You never it might be a hit (one day)
mickeyderon
Poster

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm

In terms of mix rescue, I wouldn't worry so much - these guys do this for a living and have a reputation to protect. I get the caution, but I wouldn't be quite so concerned. And it might be a nice bit of exposure.

As you are W. Midland, you are a pretty much equidistant from Zukan and The Elf - both of whom I would recommend without a second thought for 1:1 tuition. I know that Zukan also can do this remotely over Skype, etc.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:06 pm

If you're interested just drop me a PM.

I can also recommend Zukan - both a clever and able bloke, and a decent human being.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby mickeyderon » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks everyone. Nice to come to a forum where everyone is nice :-)
mickeyderon
Poster

Postby JamesKenyon88 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:17 am

Hey,

I'll have a go at mixing your tracks for free. Just drop me a message if you want me to have a go, if not don't worry about it!
JamesKenyon88