You are here

Help me with vocal mixing and mastering

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Help me with vocal mixing and mastering

Postby Pankh » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:30 am

Except my vocal being bad, I have some problems with getting it right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, maybe it's recording or EQ or something else.

I have a really deep vocal, something like MGK

Please give me some tips (How to record, at what distance from the mic I should be, EQ tips or anything)
Pankh

Re: Help me with vocal mixing and mastering

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:08 pm

There is an identical post on reddit from 9 days ago, from someone with a different username. We've been getting a lot of cut'n'paste spam posts attempts on the SOS forums and I'm wary this might be another... but we try and give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise... so I'm allowing this post to be published, partly as others may well benefit from any replies anyway.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Help me with vocal mixing and mastering

Postby Dave B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:18 pm

(very kind Hugh - let's hope he's genuine ... we've got to get one some day)

So Pankh, we do need a bit more information.

1. We could do with hearing an example so we know what we are dealing with
2. What is it that you don't like about your vocals?
3. Generally, you should be about 12" (30cm) away from the mic as a _very_ rough guide - probably more unless you are trying for a certain sound. The pop shield should be about 1/2 way between you - again as a rule of thumb
4. We can't give eq tips without hearing an example as the eq that you apply is very much dependent on the voice being mixed
5. Where are you recording? If it is an untreated space, then you will get the sound of the room and depending on the room involved, that may be a problem.

So, basically, tell us how and where you've recorded you vocals, what you don't like, and what you are aiming for and give us a quick example and we'll be happy to help
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)