You are here

Hows my mixing/audio quality?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Hows my mixing/audio quality?

Postby Tjbenz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Let me know how my audio quality/mixing is. All feedback welcome. Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXF79OrZys8
Tjbenz
Poster

Re: Hows my mixing/audio quality?

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:54 pm

It's well outside my genre, so feel free to ignore me, but to my ears the vocal is a smidge low in the mix and I'd want it to be a bit more present and in my face.
Some lovely ear candy there but I think I'd be looking for a drop at some point in that rhythm line though, it comes in and then runs for the whole track.
YMMV :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Tjbenz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:55 pm

blinddrew wrote:It's well outside my genre, so feel free to ignore me, but to my ears the vocal is a smidge low in the mix and I'd want it to be a bit more present and in my face.
Some lovely ear candy there but I think I'd be looking for a drop at some point in that rhythm line though, it comes in and then runs for the whole track.
YMMV :)

Thanks so much for listening and for the feedback!
Tjbenz
Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:20 pm

The balance seems good to me but there's something really vague and unfocused about the bass sound. It all comes right if you put it in mono, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of stereo widening effect going on that has gone a bit too far.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Tjbenz wrote:Let me know how my audio quality/mixing is. All feedback welcome. Thanks

It made me think of Guru's Jazzmatazz, which is a good thing and tells how updated I am on the hip hop scene. :)

I agree with Drew, you may want to get the vocals more upfront and be overall a little bolder with the overall sonics. Mix-wise, I have the impression you've mixed at high volume?
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Tjbenz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 pm

CS70 wrote:
Tjbenz wrote:Let me know how my audio quality/mixing is. All feedback welcome. Thanks

It made me think of Guru's Jazzmatazz, which is a good thing and tells how updated I am on the hip hop scene. :)

I agree with Drew, you may want to get the vocals more upfront and be overall a little bolder with the overall sonics. Mix-wise, I have the impression you've mixed at high volume?
Thanks for the responses! Yes I tend to mix at somewhat high volumes which I probably should look into fixing.
Tjbenz
Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Tjbenz wrote:Yes I tend to mix at somewhat high volumes which I probably should look into fixing.

Yeah it's an easy trick to give better mixes.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Tim Gillett » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:25 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:The balance seems good to me but there's something really vague and unfocused about the bass sound. It all comes right if you put it in mono, so I'm wondering if there's some kind of stereo widening effect going on that has gone a bit too far.

I agree it's a balanced mix, bass heavy but maybe typical of the genre.

Re bass though, I hear the opposite. Bass and kick sound dead centre. Sum to mono and they stay the same. Invert phase of one channel and sum, and both bass and kick are well cancelled.

I'm not that familiar with the genre. Is the backing meant to gate out like it does?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:45 pm

Hmmm, well, I just tried to listen to it again and YouTube wouldn't let me, so who knows!
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Zukan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 am

No probs accessing it here.

Sam, you pissed Youtube off or are you wearing something the filters don't like?

I tried listening to the Gap Band but was thrown out by Youtube because 'my hair was wrong'. I have since amended this with a fine afro that also has that famous Coming to America wet look.
Zukan

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:23 am

I have a recurrent problem with YouTube telling me that my administrator has enabled Restricted Mode, even though I don't have an administrator, and Restricted Mode is switched off. It's mildly annoying.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Zukan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 am

Sam Inglis wrote:I have a recurrent problem with YouTube telling me that my administrator has enabled Restricted Mode, even though I don't have an administrator, and Restricted Mode is switched off. It's mildly annoying.

You think that's bad. I have an account at Youtube exclusively for my video tutorials. I upload demos, teasers and freebies.

Google has 'lost' my account and I cannot log in to access the 30 or so videos.
It is now 2 weeks and they still cannot locate my login details.
Zukan

Postby Tjbenz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:50 pm

Thank you for the feedback.
Tjbenz
Poster

Postby slightly » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:32 pm

Im def not an expert at all

but I enjoyed that, seems totally perfect to me, the bassdrum seems a little lost at times
but I can still hear it most of the time pretty fine, but its a little weak anyway maybe

I would say maybe if it had a bit of sub on it it might be better, but maybe not

just need to hear/feel it a bit more

only critism though, sounds well otherwise
slightly
Regular