You are here

Youtube normalization vs album master

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Youtube normalization vs album master

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:09 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about 'purity'. We're all going to be mixing for cassette again soon... https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/23/cassette-tape-music-revival-retro-chic-rewind

Why do we bother?

:roll:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Head - desk - interface.

If ever there was a format that deserved to die.
I mean, it served its purpose for a while, but really...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 pm

I miss minidisk :(
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:14 pm

It all went Pete Tong when they did away with cylinders.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:35 pm

Are you sure? I thought he came along just as shellac was giving way to vinyl :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:43 pm

A no-deal Brexit will see a return to shellac. And wind-up gramophones.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Tasukete wrote:So again my question is whether you know how to reduce these peaks without altering the sound material. I precisely don't want to alter the dynamic range

Technically, you can’t. It’s like asking how to make a circle square. Dynamic range is by definition the loudest level minus the lowest level, so if you lower the peaks and leave anything else unchanged, you will be decreasing dynamic range.

However there’s a non literal sense to answer your question - you may want to cut the dynamic range without changing the feel of the music.

Now a lot depends on the specific of the music, but with gentle compression, and maybe more than one compressor in sequence , for certain tracks it’s possible to reduce the dynamic range a little without changing e the overall timbre so much, so that people gets the same feel (and the author is maybe the only one who can tell). But we’re talking quite little compression here and music where the peaks are basics mostly short transients well above anything else.

That said, first of all that won’t probably help with YouTube: if they allow only a certain range, and yours is higher, it will be reduced, just like you have to saw of the sides of a circle to make it fit a smaller square.

Second (and with all kindness) again I think you don’t fully understand why normalization is in place and why it’s a good thing. When you say that your music exceeds the technical limits, you make it sound like it needs to do that to be unique and special. But these technical limits are set in a way that all the dynamic range that makes sense can be accomodated. Exceeding it is simply a nuisance, which the listener will promptly correct by turning the volume down mid-track (or swearing out loud if he has his hands full, and probably never wanting to play the thing again).. there’s no way that makes your track unique or special... it’s like fitting a racing car with square wheels on purpose. Make your music dynamic within the reasonable range and it’ll sound magnificent, and people will not have to use the volume knob midway. That’s harder but if you get there you’ll be doing awesome mixes.

Best of luck!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about 'purity'. We're all going to be mixing for cassette again soon... https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/23/cassette-tape-music-revival-retro-chic-rewind

Why do we bother?

:roll:

Well as I find out when I did one, you don’t actually mix for cassettes :-)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous