You are here

My voice or my Technique

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

My voice or my Technique

Postby hooty2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Greetings all,
I find myself disturbed on most of my own few personal vocal productions of my own poems......by a resonance or rough sound, prominent on the attack of certain words.
These songs are very personal and I use them to practice technique etc. (& to amaze myself at being able to do such things at my advanced age)
I tend to sing quietly & very close to the mic (SM7B or AKG D7)...& i'm thinking this may be a strong contribution to the problem.

Below is a link to a small & short compilation of examples:
https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/s ... llo-friday

This is a final production with fx/dynamics etc (do you need a list?). Even on the examples, i have already split and faded in to minimise the effect. (not the fade in added on each sample). the unwanted effect was much stronger prior to adding the fade ins.
I have noted the actual words that bother me at each location.
(nb: sample four, the word 'hope' got shifted to the end of sample 3...& i can't seem to move it, sorry)
Any advice on what i may be missing?...or...doing wrong.... or is it the nature of my voice?

For comparison & context, the full track is here,
https://soundcloud.com/user-463354445/c ... friday-rmx
included just for completeness...not expecting/requiring any feedback on this.
regards & thanks in advance
hooty2
Regular

Re: My voice or my Technique

Postby Alba » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:33 pm

I shouldn't worry about it, you're being too anal...

I think it sounds beautiful, its a lovely ethereal piece of work.

Perhaps we should have a thread about top selling singers who can't stand their own voice ... t'would be a long one.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 pm

It would be more helpful to hear the raw vocal before processing. It's not really noticeable in the final track; it's sounding more prominent to you because you've heard the original pre-production version.

Possibly just plosives, so you could try angling the mic a bit more and singing more across it than directly in to it. Or sing a bit further away and use a pop filter. Or use both! The Haken one is considered to be the best https://www.kmraudio.com/brands/hakan, though the Rycote ones are very similar and almost as good.

Yes, as you move away you'll lose some of the low-end which you may want to add back in with EQ, but there's always going to be some compromise in this situation. Most singer's recordings need some work on plosives and sibilance to get them sounding more polished, so you are certainly not alone.

Nice track by the way. Reminds me in a general way of some of John Martyn's later '80s work.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby hooty2 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:56 pm

Yikes!
Can't say i'm not pleased.
Didn't expect that feedback on the actual song..but much much appreciated
thank you.

I've looked & listened to the original vox track in RX7 & actually very little of the low frequency disturbance.
but...adding in my fx chain..and things start to happen. i'm looking into this now.

Dear Alba, unclenching as i write:)

cheers
hooty2
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:32 pm

I like it too, :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........