You are here

Who else uses layered reverbs ie more than one verb on a single sound?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Who else uses layered reverbs ie more than one verb on a single sound?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Watched this vid by our very own esteemed Zukan. This technique of using three verbs all at once on eg a single vocal is not something I've ever tried but will be giving it a go asap. Anybody else do this as a matter of course?

https://www.samplecraze.com/tutorials/wrapping-reverbs/
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Who else uses layered reverbs ie more than one verb on a single sound?

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:08 pm

The Elf certainly does, as he's discussed in a previous thread here on the forums.

(I'll post a link if I can find it again)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:36 pm

I do occasionally.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Here you go, pointing to the first post on this topic from The Elf:

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 90#p583657

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby forumuser840717 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:49 pm

I often use two, three or even more reverbs but it depends what it is that I'm mixing.

On simple/purist things it might be no digital trickery at all or just a convolution or very clean algorithmic reverb over the mix but on bigger, more complex things with lots of layers or where some depth has to be faked in to the mix, it could involve two, three, or more reverbs, and possibly a mixture of algorithmic and convolution reverbs - or even old school acoustic reverb chanbers or plates. The main thing for me is to make sure that, if they're not just there to produce pure "effect(s)" on a specific sound, say a snare or vocal, they add up to produce a convincingly real soundstage rather than just an aurally confusing/tiring mess.

I tend to find that for bedding things into mixes, algorithmic reverbs work best whereas convolutions can be hard to blend in, tending to remain as separate, pasted-on entities but for adding reverb to a finished mix, particularly a very pure/clear/simple mix, something convolutiony is often better. For stand out effect work it could be either. Everyone is different, though, and whatever works is good.
forumuser840717
Regular

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:50 pm

No, sorry, obviously didn't make myself clear. I'm talking about using 3 verbs on a single source eg the lead vocal. See the Zukan video I linked to, where on the lead vocal, he uses a short plate with no predelay, then a hall with a short predelay, followed by a smaller hall with a long predelay. So all 3 are on the voice in series, blended together to give a very pleasing result.

So I'm not talking about using a selection of different verbs across the mix which, I guess, most of us do as a matter of course almost.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Folderol » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Yep. That's what I thought you meant, and as I said, I do occasionally.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:08 pm

How do you use them, what kinds of reverb do you use and on what sources? And have you or any member of your family ever been a member of the communist party?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:23 pm

OK Dr Huge - here's the same thread a little further on where multiple reverbs on one source ARE specifically mentioned ;)

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 90#p583869

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:14 pm

Ah yes, that's the video I referenced too. Seems to be quite a rare thing to do?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:29 pm

I will often have multiple reverbs set up in a mix and will send some sources to more than one of them. I'll also put a delay in series with a reverb. Don't think I have ever used two or three reverbs in series, though.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Interestingly, in Logic, some of the preset instrument settings come with two reverbs patched in, often a small ambience plus a hall, say.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:42 pm

As Martin says, I do use multiple reverbs as a matter of course. On the latest mix, for instance I'm adding a bit of the snare's plate to toms, and then sending the toms to a chamber to create more LF 'bloom'. Just one example...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 pm

I print effects to the track so I will add one reverb and then change the settings slightly and print it again. I rarely use three though.

Postby Soundpact » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:56 pm

I usually use two or three types of layered reverbs and automate them: a short type in verses, medium in bridges and large in choruses and solos. Not on all instruments of course, it depends on the track, style, etc.
Soundpact

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:20 am

After trying to copy what I hear on my favorite records, I have learned a nice technique that involves multiple reverbs on single sources. My favorite sounding records are recorded in nice recording studios, with each instrument having its own room. Piano in the piano room, drums in the drum room, etc. But each room sounds really nice.

Meanwhile, I record all the same pieces in a dead room.

So I apply a convolution reverb to the dead source to make it sound like it was recorded in a nice room. Each one is different to mimic the studio and room I have in mind.

Now I have sources that sound like they were recorded in nice, different rooms. But then I can hear that the piano had its own plate reverb that made the notes sizzle and ring. But the drums had a different reverb that was darker and shorter. So each piece gets its own effect reverb and that puts it in its own personal 'space' partially real from the room, but partially effect. So that's two on each.

But I am just trying to recreate what I hear and like.

Thanks to Mr Hancock for showing us how they get it to sound so good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWd9_vnNM7A
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby awjoe » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:55 am

What Mr Choppah says makes the most sense to me, but really I'm in the dark on this one. So a modest question is in order maybe: What's the point of using more than one reverb on a vocal, for instance?

And if the answer is 'Because it sounds good,' then my next question is 'Is that because two reverbs have more reflections than one reverb, so it's more natural?'
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party

Postby Terrible.dee » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 am

A well know producer taught me to use dual reverbs.

The point was to create definition though spacial ambiance, a vocal that's closer than the guitar might take 10% of the short reverb and 5% of the pre-delayed long reverb, the guitar might take the reverse amount.

He would also pan reverbs, so instead of panning the instruments, he'd be panning the verbs the instruments were sent to.

I get what he was teaching me in concept, but at the end of the day, I (And I suggest you) need to be true to your ears.....and for me.....reverb sucks, I just don't like it unless it's REAL ambiance recorded by a room mic.

I think digital reverb sounds like a$$.......no matter how many you use, why you use them or where they are panned.
Terrible.dee
Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:52 am

awjoe wrote:What's the point of using more than one reverb on a vocal, for instance?'
Because each adds a character that your ears like. I may use a shorter plate for sizzle, but also a longer hall to create space. Making a vocalist sound like his voice is bouncing off the most distant part of the mix all helps the illusion of space and depth.

It's really the kind of thing that you have to hear to understand properly. I often go into this in my 1-2-1s and once the penny drops I find most people binge on it!

Don't know how anyone mixes without reverb - for me it would be like to trying to paint landscapes without using the colour green!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:17 am

It’s not uncommon to dislike artificial reverb. Jeff lynne immediately springs to mind. He’s produced a hit or two. You
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next