You are here

Who else uses layered reverbs ie more than one verb on a single sound?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Who else uses layered reverbs ie more than one verb on a single sound?

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:I do sometimes wonder if these techniques are there to give the engineer something to do and justify his fee. Whenever I see these reverb minutiae discussed I can't help but think of an interview the brilliant John Leckie (Radiohead, XTC, PIL, McCartney etc etc) did in this esteemed organ many moons ago where he said "The performance is 99.9 percent of what people hear. It doesn't matter what mic you use or what reverb you use or all that stuff." The interview seems to have gone now, sadly. In fact, I feel a signature coming on...
I suspect he's exaggerating for effect, TBH. Otherwise it's a pretty silly thing to say.

Of course the performance is the biggest part of the job, but thinking that this somehow negates 99.9% of all other considerations is, at best, naive.

Every tiny detail in mixing is minutiae, but add up all those minute details and...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Zukan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:07 am

Some great insights in this thread.

The only thing I will say is that you are best to manage your verbs on headphones. Trust me on this: when you are feeding 2-3 verbs in series you need to hear every detail otherwise it is very easy to get it 'wrong'.

With regards to remarks that the take is 99% of the work done for mixing: well, I am not sure about that. In acoustical genres yes it does matter but with the EDM genres that are so prevalent today it really is about the production.
Zukan

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Zukan wrote:The only thing I will say is that you are best to manage your verbs on headphones. Trust me on this: when you are feeding 2-3 verbs in series you need to hear every detail otherwise it is very easy to get it 'wrong'.

Good advice. I do a lot of my mixing under headphones anyway, although after digesting this thread I shall now be double-checking reverb levels through loudspeakers, to make sure they are not excessive once the playback room acoustics are added.

Zukan wrote:With regards to remarks that the take is 99% of the work done for mixing: well, I am not sure about that. In acoustical genres yes it does matter but with the EDM genres that are so prevalent today it really is about the production.

Too true - in EDM far more time is spent on the mixing, production and fairy dust stages than occurs during any tracking.

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous