You are here

Woman in Chains: Would you let this blop get through to mastering?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Woman in Chains: Would you let this blop get through to mastering?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:06 pm

On the Tears for Fears track Woman in Chains, at just after 50 secs, there is a hugely audible blip, sounds like a reverb being triggered or something. I'm all for letting little errors through to add to the reality and texture of a track, but this seems like a massive one to me? Mixed by Clearmountain so obviously he's not going to miss it, and neither is any mastering engineer. So clearly a decision was made to keep it in. What do you lot think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5-c79LQ3aM&frags=pl%2Cwn
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Woman in Chains: Would you let this blop get through to mastering?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:28 pm

I hear something at 55 secs, if they repeated it it would sound like a deliberate part of the rhythm track but it is just there once........ Maybe it was deliberate or maybe not but I don't think it could be an artefact introduced by YouTube. Is it just an audio equivalent of a 'Movie Blooper'?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Ah, but to my ears that blip at 0:54 does sound sort of musical, and more importantly its timing fits into the song, so I suspect it might be deliberate ;)

It certainly doesn't jar with me - sorry!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:40 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:On the Tears for Fears track Woman in Chains, at just after 50 secs, there is a hugely audible blip, sounds like a reverb being triggered or something.

Yep. At about 54 seconds in -- It's part of the rhythm track. I reckon it's bass guitar pluck/hammer/twang noises! There are similar 'quacks' at around 30 and 36 seconds in, too, so I don't think its accidental or unnoticed!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:43 pm

I think it's probably accidental but someone liked it so they kept it.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BJG145 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:54 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I reckon it's bass guitar pluck/hammer/twang noises! There are similar 'quacks' at around 30 and 36 seconds in, too, so I don't think its accidental

^^^

Absolutely, there's another example at 1.11; bass effects. A nice touch.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:12 am

I agree they're meant to be there.

I've always puzzled over this JJ Cale song in the "She dont lie, she dont lie, she dont lie" section just after 2:15.

https://youtu.be/KWmD_HcOcfU
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:28 am

Tim Gillett wrote:I agree they're meant to be there...I've always puzzled over this JJ Cale song in the "She dont lie, she dont lie, she dont lie" section just after 2:15.

...ha, yeah...first time I heard it I thought, "ouch", but then I started to accept it...bass is playing discordantly flat on the final two notes of the riff. It might have been a "hmm, OK, let's keep it in" moment, but who knows...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 am

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote:On the Tears for Fears track Woman in Chains, at just after 50 secs, there is a hugely audible blip, sounds like a reverb being triggered or something. I'm all for letting little errors through to add to the reality and texture of a track, but this seems like a massive one to me? Mixed by Clearmountain so obviously he's not going to miss it, and neither is any mastering engineer. So clearly a decision was made to keep it in. What do you lot think?

It's part of the percussion track, absolutely intentional, and it's not even that big of a transient on the waveform.

BTW I've always thought this is a glorious record, in all respects, and it sounds fantastic. In fact, it was one of my goto choices to demo Hi-fi's/speakers when I used to work in an independent hifi shop a looooong time ago...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:42 am

I agree. I love this album and Clearmountain's mixes in general. He only did this track and the live one later on on the album. That noise really annoys me, though, as you can probably tell. :D
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:38 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:I agree they're meant to be there...I've always puzzled over this JJ Cale song in the "She dont lie, she dont lie, she dont lie" section just after 2:15.

...ha, yeah...first time I heard it I thought, "ouch", but then I started to accept it...bass is playing discordantly flat on the final two notes of the riff. It might have been a "hmm, OK, let's keep it in" moment, but who knows...

In every other way it seems such a great bass track on a great song. It would have been easy to fix. My guess is they didn't listen carefully to the end of the track and it slipped through.

Here's an even worse clanger but in remastering, seemingly due to the same thing: not listening to the track all the way through.

https://youtu.be/uF5E0w2h6wM
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:07 pm

I love this record. I have the instrumental version on 12" and can confirm the sound is there too. I've never felt this sound was out of place...

The recent remaster and repress of the Don Rendell Ian Carr Quintet Shades of Blue on the other hand... :o
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.