You are here

Reaper... mind blown yet again.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Reaper... mind blown yet again.

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 09, 2019 12:52 pm

miN2 wrote:Any of you lot use Reaper for predominantly VSTi and MIDI? I only ever see audio being used in Reaper and it somewhat makes me think that no one uses it for mostly software and hardware instruments. If i worked with audio i think i'd have gone to Reaper years ago but being someone who doesn't use much audio i find Reaper, i don't know, weird, awkward, unintuitive, frustrating even. I was constantly like wtf?! Why are you like that?! :madas:

Haven't tried it again in well over a year though.
I think it was someone else on here who said that using Reaper was a gradual journey from 'Aaargh!' to 'Ah!' :)
I do use a few VSTis and a bit of midi but I'm definitely mostly a live instrument person so can't help from that perspective though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu May 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Me too, Reaper used to have a poor rep for it's midi handling but, that seems to have been addressed and, certainly fo my minimal midi use it is fine. I'll probably be using more midi since I bought a EWI so hope Reaper doesn't disappoint.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mixedup » Thu May 09, 2019 2:27 pm

It's not bad for MIDI. Not quite Cubase, but not bad by any means, and its internal MIDI timing precision is great. It does have some advantages too... Like being able to host instruments in one instance, but trigger them from another running simultaneously (so you don't have to keep reloading massive orchestral templates every time you want to work on a different cue, for example). And the MIDI editor is nicely configurable, particularly for drums... And there's a script that emulates a lot of Cubase's Chord Track composition features, for selecting/programming chords and switching inversions etc etc. You go from aaagh to ah, as you say...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu May 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Mixedup wrote:
Ariosto wrote:I love Reaper and use it all the time - but - I find the Master Mixer a pain as its so small, and I have to squint or even use a magnifying glass to read the tiny figures - i.e. the -10dB or the RMS readouts at the bottom or top of the scales. There doesn't seem any way that this Master Mixer can be enlarged, and I've even asked on the Reaper forum, but no replies.

Anyone else have this problem?

Not sure I've grasped what you mean. But you can stretch the meter to the full height. You can't stretch it horizontally, AFAIK, though. But of course you can choose/design a different Theme if you want to. Might be worth looking at some, since some of them have rather clearer/crisper labels on the meters...

This promted me to experiment a bit today. First, you want to make sure yuo've right-clicked on the mixer and unticked the default 'Show multiple rows of tracks when size permits'. Then try going to Options/Layouts/Master Mixer Panel... and experimenting with those. The Large option might improve things...

Finally, you can edit the theme using 'WALTER'. It isn't generally for the faint-hearted, but it's actually pretty easy to edit the meter text colours if you do a little reading... basically, each colour is given three (or more, but we're only concerned with the first three here) numbers, which are codes for the RGB colour. You can figure them out here: https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.html though if you want plain white, set them all to 255 255 255. There's a great guide to theme editing by the House of White Tie (who do a gorgeous looking GUI): http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/walter_themers_guide.pdf

For example, it ook me about an hour to figure all this out and adapt the default theme to give me this master mixer channel... It could use some work still, but it this the sort of thing you meant?

Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Agharta » Thu May 09, 2019 3:06 pm

miN2 wrote:Any of you lot use Reaper for predominantly VSTi and MIDI?
I do.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby miN2 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm

Mixedup wrote:...some advantages too...

Aye, there's loads of cool stuff about Reaper. I invariably think 'that's cool' everytime i see someone use it or mention something about it (this thread being yet another example). It often feels like the DAW i want to use but can't seem to bring myself to knuckle down and get stuck in to (to my own detriment perhaps :roll: ). Probably my own fault as when coming to PC from Mac and Logic i basically just went hunting for the DAW that felt most familiar (Studio One), and Reaper was very un-Logicesque to me (which is a relief to some, no doubt!).
miN2
Poster

Postby Ariosto » Thu May 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Mixedup wrote:
Mixedup wrote:
Ariosto wrote:I love Reaper and use it all the time - but - I find the Master Mixer a pain as its so small, and I have to squint or even use a magnifying glass to read the tiny figures - i.e. the -10dB or the RMS readouts at the bottom or top of the scales. There doesn't seem any way that this Master Mixer can be enlarged, and I've even asked on the Reaper forum, but no replies.

Anyone else have this problem?

Not sure I've grasped what you mean. But you can stretch the meter to the full height. You can't stretch it horizontally, AFAIK, though. But of course you can choose/design a different Theme if you want to. Might be worth looking at some, since some of them have rather clearer/crisper labels on the meters...

This promted me to experiment a bit today. First, you want to make sure yuo've right-clicked on the mixer and unticked the default 'Show multiple rows of tracks when size permits'. Then try going to Options/Layouts/Master Mixer Panel... and experimenting with those. The Large option might improve things...

Finally, you can edit the theme using 'WALTER'. It isn't generally for the faint-hearted, but it's actually pretty easy to edit the meter text colours if you do a little reading... basically, each colour is given three (or more, but we're only concerned with the first three here) numbers, which are codes for the RGB colour. You can figure them out here: https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.html though if you want plain white, set them all to 255 255 255. There's a great guide to theme editing by the House of White Tie (who do a gorgeous looking GUI): http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/walter_themers_guide.pdf

For example, it ook me about an hour to figure all this out and adapt the default theme to give me this master mixer channel... It could use some work still, but it this the sort of thing you meant?

I tried this but could not get it to change. Thanks anyway. I think I will use a plugin with a different larger meter which will get around the problem.
Ariosto
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Mixedup wrote:There's a great guide to theme editing by the House of White Tie (who do a gorgeous looking GUI): http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/walter_themers_guide.pdf

That's a very interesting document - thanks for the link :thumbup:

Incidentally, if you go to http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/ there is some amusing placeholder content there :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby garrettendi » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm

I installed the trial of Reaper on Friday and I’ve got to say it’s a learning curve after Mixbus but I like what I see! :thumbup:

Mixbus does sound a bit more acoustic-y though...

Maybe I’m imagining things?
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 13, 2019 9:25 pm

garrettendi wrote:Mixbus does sound a bit more acoustic-y though...

Maybe I’m imagining things?

Yes, you are ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby garrettendi » Mon May 13, 2019 9:27 pm

:oops:

Terribly sorry. I’ll er... hand in my SOS card
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby garrettendi » Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 pm

I’m not a total idiot, honest! I’m on my second G&T! ;)
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 13, 2019 10:22 pm

garrettendi wrote:I’m not a total idiot, honest! I’m on my second G&T! ;)

Cheers matey :D

I agree with you about Mixbus sounding nice - I think it's down to the emulation of analogue channel strips as part of the product itself. Not sure I'd describe it as 'acoustic-y' but I think I know what you mean.

There are some lovely themes for Reaper out there:

I've come to realise that for me, Reaper is preferable for the composing and recording phase of a project and Mixbus is preferable for mixing. I do like the sound of Mixbus but it's brutal on CPU - I used it for the last One Synth Challenge and it was indicating DSP usage at 90%+ on an i9 CPU after about 20 tracks or so.

My workflow continues to evolve after a radical shift a few months ago, both in terms of gear and in the way I do things, but I'm rather enjoying the process of discovery :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 pm

I actually feel Reaper fits me better all round but it’s early days. I’ve become frustrated recording in Mixbus especially with at least one crucial VSTi not working.

That’s a pretty sexy theme! Can I get a download link perchance? Can you recommend a theme that somewhat mimics Mixbus? I love that analogue mixer look!

No more G&T for now! I’ve run out! :lol:
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 13, 2019 10:51 pm

garrettendi wrote:That’s a pretty sexy theme! Can I get a download link perchance? Can you recommend a theme that somewhat mimics Mixbus? I love that analogue mixer look!

I don't have that one myself - I'm pondering getting it. It's 'shareware' in that the guy who created it asks for a small donation of your choosing - details are here.

I'm still looking through various themes, I too like the look of Mixbus (for some weird reason, the aesthetic of the interface is somehow important to me and I don't like the default Reaper one) and if I find one I'll let you know.

garrettendi wrote:No more G&T for now! I’ve run out! :lol:

Probably for the best ... it is a school night after all :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon May 13, 2019 11:07 pm

This one looks quite nice btw and is directly downloadable:

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1865/Sola ... e_v2.5.zip

Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby garrettendi » Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 pm

That is almost exactly what I had in mind!
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 am

You're where I was when I started Garret.

I ended up using the Abbey Rd theme.

However, I have recently come to the conclusion that the default theme is actually the best one as it helps to translate across better for tutorials. As Matt correctly pointed out it helps to read off the same page.
Zukan

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Zukan wrote:You're where I was when I started Garret.

I ended up using the Abbey Rd theme.

However, I have recently come to the conclusion that the default theme is actually the best one as it helps to translate across better for tutorials. As Matt correctly pointed out it helps to read off the same page.

Yep, despite various forays into Reaper skins I've ended up staying with the default for the same reason.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby garrettendi » Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I agree with you about Mixbus sounding nice - I think it's down to the emulation of analogue channel strips as part of the product itself. Not sure I'd describe it as 'acoustic-y' but I think I know what you mean.

This is pretty much what I meant by "acoustic-y"... Evidently the two G&Ts had gone to my head and broke the language part of me noggin! Mixbus seems to have a little analogue warmth to it.

I really don't want to download/buy any new VST plugins for a while to get this kind of sound in Reaper, but do you think a light use of Melda's MSaturator on the Master bus might do the job of getting that little bit of warmth?

EDIT: I have other plugins besides Melda! I'll take a look at what else I have next time I'm in the studio for doing this job
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext