You are here

Reaper... mind blown yet again.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Reaper... mind blown yet again.

Postby Mixedup » Wed May 01, 2019 1:47 pm

I've just discovered the Free Item Positioning facility. The possibilities are mind-boggling. Should be a sound designer's dream...

Anyone else use this?
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Re: Reaper... mind blown yet again.

Postby Zukan » Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 pm

It's insane!

I am trying to use it with my technique of flip and sum mixing and having all the inverted audio on the same track is a huge plus.

Cockos are way ahead of the competition in terms of power usage functions for their DAW.
Zukan

Postby Mixedup » Wed May 01, 2019 3:41 pm

I figured you'd probably have beaten me to it for precisely that reason :lol:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Wow, I didn't know about this feature (more accurately a whole bunch of features in one). I just watched a video about it, it's almost DAW inception!

Incredibly powerful and the possibilities are legion. I think I'll be using Reaper a little more than I have been for a while :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Martin Walker » Wed May 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Wow - just wow!!! :o

Just followed this up by viewing this YouTube tutorial, and it's a stunning feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy12cfTWBPE

Being able to freely tweak the timing, level, pan and so on for each of the items, but also being able to collectively treat them with a plug-in is wunderbar!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Zukan » Wed May 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Mixedup wrote:I figured you'd probably have beaten me to it for precisely that reason :lol:

lol
Zukan

Postby desmond » Wed May 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Yes, it's basically polyphonic tracks (ie, with a typical DAW, one track has one "voice" (which may be mono, or multichannel etc), and to add more "voices", you create new tracks.)

They've done is make tracks polyphonic (which get submixed internally into the track's mixer channel, it doesn't look like you can control levels/pans etc for each part, for that you'd still need to go to proper independent tracks, but I only watched the first ten mins or so of the video....)

(Plus a mode where you can make it really visually ugly! ;) )

While the feature isn't ground-breaking, or let you do things you previously couldn't do, I'm all up for DAW makers experimenting with different modes of working, as these often put you into a different headspace while working, and different modes, providing you understand how to drive them and how they work, can remove other barriers that can get in the way - it's always a pain when your software "fights' you when you want to do something.

I still find Reaper rather over-complicated for me, but for those people who like this kind of customisability, it's a godsend I expect...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed May 01, 2019 4:48 pm

desmond wrote:They've done is make tracks polyphonic (which get submixed internally into the track's mixer channel, it doesn't look like you can control levels/pans etc for each part, for that you'd still need to go to proper independent tracks.)

Oh, you absolutely can change levels and panning for each part ... level is via dragging the top bar of the graphic for the part down, and panning is in the properties.

You can also apply different plugins to each part independently and add muting buttons and more to each part as well :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby desmond » Wed May 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Oh, you absolutely can change levels and panning for each part ... level is via dragging the top bar of the graphic for the part down, and panning is in the properties.

You can also apply different plugins to each part independently and add muting buttons and more to each part as well :thumbup:

Yep, the video is still going so I've seen a few more things. :thumbup:

(One of the things I least like about Reaper when I've used it for projects is all the trips to complicated inspector windows, and I'm fairly nerdy in general...)

But I do like the option for polyphonic tracks, which can be useful for some circumstances and workflows - very "freeing" indeed...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm

I really wasn't sure why you'd use this approach rather than grouping or folders but the use cases from about 9 1/2 minutes in Eddy's video make it very interesting.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Bunk » Wed May 01, 2019 6:05 pm

Fascinating, although I did find the narrator's delivery phrasing a bit irritating. Kind of like the way an American Michael Caine would do it.

And then I started imagining Michael Caine's voice actually doing the exact same narration:

"It's going to trim. The items. If we lay them on top. Of each other."

Made me chuckle anyway...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby blinddrew » Wed May 01, 2019 6:12 pm

The way you wrote that leads me to a William Shatner style delivery... :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Mixedup » Wed May 01, 2019 8:01 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Oh, you absolutely can change levels and panning for each part ... level is via dragging the top bar of the graphic for the part down, and panning is in the properties.

You can display volume, pan, mute and pitch take envelopes for any or all items. Then you don't need to keep going into properties. More flow, less work, as the PR guys would say, if CockOS used PR guys...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 02, 2019 10:56 am

Mixedup wrote:More flow, less work, as the PR guys would say, if CockOS used PR guys...

Reaper's users are their PR guys - in some ways a more honest approach, if not quite as effective ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Mixedup » Thu May 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Yeah... they probably could do with some PR guys tbh! Lots of the functions go by really not very obvious names if you come from another DAW... as in, they make sense when you read them, and they're wonderfully descriptive for programmers... but you have to know what they're called in order to find them in the first place, and the names are so long that you can rarely remember them if you want to search! It's not as if there's one new release every year where you can reead the 'what's new in version x' bit. It feels like there's an update every time you open the thing... which is great, for obvious reasons, but it does make new features kinda hard to keep on top of if you want to actually spend some time making music :lol:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Thu May 02, 2019 12:33 pm

I guess Schoenberg would of liked this, instead of just leaning on the keyboard and writing down what came out.

But I'm confused, surely you can do this with any DAW by turning off the snap to button, and grouping each 'object' so what's the big deal?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mixedup » Thu May 02, 2019 12:54 pm

OneWorld wrote:what's the big deal?

The big deal is coupling this feature with loads of other things that Reaper offers. Not least the Mouse Modifiers. It speeds some things up considerably. Even something really simple like laying down backing vocal doubles is quicker for me. And it takes up fewer channels in the proejct, creating less clutter, or saving the time it takes to route things, or hide tracks etc. Also makes it easier to line up and see what's happening with complex crossfades of multiple clips which just gets really fiddly when working across multple tracks.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Thu May 02, 2019 2:10 pm

desmond wrote:I still find Reaper rather over-complicated for me, but for those people who like this kind of customisability, it's a godsend I expect...

Des, the thing about Reaper is it's flexibility and customisation. At first it might seem overwhelming but once you have set up your own workflow functions, default templates and key commands it is a breeze to use.

For us engineer tech types it is a perfect solution as we can slim it down to the functions we want and not what we are forced to use.

Cockos listen to their customers and are seriously quick in incorporating changes.

If you like, I am more than happy to slim the GUI down to your tastes and create a startup template for you?
Zukan

Postby desmond » Thu May 02, 2019 2:27 pm

Zukan wrote:Des, the thing about Reaper is it's flexibility and customisation.

Indeed, and I'm the kind of person that likes this kind of power, in general. It's one of the reasons I use Logic, because right from version 1.x it was more tailorable and customisable for my needs than anything else, and still to this day it's very customisable, but also elegant in that you don't have to have a hugely cluttered workspace to use everything. It's the clutter I don't like that much... and I really don't like having to constantly open/close windows and dialogs for basic functions.

Zukan wrote:At first it might seem overwhelming but once you have set up your own workflow functions, default templates and key commands it is a breeze to use.

Sure. I have used it for projects, typically for those that I thought Logic was less suited for, and it worked out ok. Of course it felt more clunky to use, but that always happens when you use a different tool than the one you're used to. That's me, not the software. It's not overwhelming, just unfamiliar.

Zukan wrote:If you like, I am more than happy to slim the GUI down to your tastes and create a startup template for you?

Thanks, but I'm more than happy with my current tools of choice. I only really break out Reaper occasionally specifically for things that my regular tools don't cover that well (same goes for Ableton Live). It's good to have a range of tools and choose appropriately for the task at hand, and if I had the time I may well do more with Reaper and learn it's darker corners better - but I just don't have the need to, at this point in time...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby garrettendi » Thu May 02, 2019 2:59 pm

I'm giving serious thought to migrating from Harrison Mixbus to Reaper.

Sometimes I feel the only thing keeping me on Mixbus is loyalty....
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Next