You are here

Cab IRs vs Cab simulations? Recab'ing to real cab/speaker?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Cab IRs vs Cab simulations? Recab'ing to real cab/speaker?

Postby Elephone » Wed May 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Hi. I've heard that IRs are more realistic than cab simulations. If so, what's considered the best software for cab IRs? Is Recabinet still highly regarded?

Also, what about recab'ing using real speakers? Aren't amp simulations only designed to be reproduced on domestic-sized speakers or studio monitors? Is there a specific difference with an actual guitar amp speaker apart from the size?

I've never been able to get a virtual B3 organ to pump & growl (and sound genuine in certain other ways too) although the cleaner tones sound pretty realistic. I've tried most of the top sims.

Is this down to a lack of real physics? I suspect a lot of strange things can happen with real vibrating speakers that would be impossible to attempt to simulate.

I remember listening to Hendrix at the Isle of Wight on my TV as a teenager and there was a bit where a unison string bend made the speaker produce a crazy interference pattern noise, like you can get sometimes playing sine tones of 80's keyboards.

I'd like to experiment with getting some actual physics to take place, yet have the convenience of virtual amps and/or instruments.

I've had some good results mixing real and virtual amps together, but I've never got around to combining real and virtual in other ways.

I'd like to hear your ideas.

Cheers.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Cab IRs vs Cab simulations? Recab'ing to real cab/speaker?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Sat May 25, 2019 9:38 am

Yes, I think cab IR's have the edge. I have a number of free ones but I'd highly recommend the Celestion ones. I use them in Logic's convolution reverb and they definitely sound fairly realistic to me if you get the right amp sound upfront, of course.

https://www.celestionplus.com/
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Elephone » Mon May 27, 2019 9:09 pm

Apparently it's not a great idea to do this with Amplitube 4:

"AmpliTube's cabinet section uses both IRs and cabinet modeling in a way that is distinctly integrated into the rest of the chain. This is why there is no external IR loader available, as it isn't a matter of simply replacing an IR we're using inside of AmpliTube. There is great attention paid to the whole chain when using any component contained therein, so inserting something into that chain would be not only complex if not chaotic (due to simple IRs not including the modeling components we do with our cabs/speakers/rooms in that section) but would likely make it much more possible to end up with results that are detrimental to the sonic quality currently offered."
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Tue May 28, 2019 8:04 am

IR’s sound like a particular cab in a particular room, played with the particular amp/amp settings used to record the impulse.

Cab emulations are a different thing, as they seek to replicate de behaviour of the cabinet including the reactions to the upstreams load, and allowing you to play also with the mics, room, etc. This is achieved with diverse grades of success, of course.

I’ve tried both. My personal choice are emulations when they’re veeeeeery good (and veeeeeeeery expensive) :-(
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Tue May 28, 2019 8:58 pm

ore_terra wrote:I’ve tried both. My personal choice are emulations when they’re veeeeeery good (and veeeeeeeery expensive) :-(

Like which ones please? Thanks.

Incidentally, I've tried bypassing the cabs in earlier versions of Amplitube (Fender) and it sounds as expected to me. Maybe it's just Amplitube 4.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Tue May 28, 2019 9:07 pm

UAD OX Amp (hardware)

Software wise I dont have much experience. I used to like Amplitube and I really like BIAS amp. But I think the OX amp plays in another league (unfortunately also in price, as I said)
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:41 pm

"The “problem” with impulse response for amp cabinet sounds"...?

https://medium.com/@Raaphorst/the-probl ... 716af1b2e1
Elephone
Frequent Poster