You are here

EQ 'matching' (inverted) for better separation?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

EQ 'matching' (inverted) for better separation?

Postby Elephone » Thu May 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Hello. Has anyone tried this?

You can use EQ matching to create a perfectly measured EQ dent in one track (or lesser dents in both tracks) so that they are better separated in the mix.

Let's say you record the reference EQ of a guitar part during a chorus, say, then when you go to apply it to the (keyboard) track you would normally try match it ...you invert the peaks instead.

The spectrum of this keyboard track will now be like a jigsaw piece of the guitar track... if the guitar is more important to preserve in terms of sonic character. If not, you can create less extreme dents in both tracks by applying inverted EQ matching to both.

...or if you separated them using stereo, and send a guitar reverb across to the other side, you can create a dent into that reverb to allow the dry keyboard in that speaker to avoid it, and vice-versa.

Drawbacks?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: EQ 'matching' (inverted) for better separation?

Postby Mixedup » Fri May 24, 2019 6:53 am

Drawbacks...

1. the EQ is matching a static snapshot of another source so it won't be accurate.

2. Maybe you've not EQd the other track right yet and so you take away info in one source when you should be taking away info from the other.

There's a plugin called Trackspacer that does this dynamically. Maybe try the demo and see what you think?
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Elephone » Fri May 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Mixedup wrote:1. the EQ is matching a static snapshot of another source so it won't be accurate.

I suppose, since leaving EQ pots in a chosen position would be less accurate, I mean by comparison to standard EQ'ing.

Mixedup wrote:There's a plugin called Trackspacer that does this dynamically. Maybe try the demo and see what you think?

Well, that might be a better option, I'll check it out. Thanks!
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Elephone wrote:Hello. Has anyone tried this?

Not sure if you mean something specific with "EQ matching" but the practice of carving complementary EQ pockets in different instrument is fairly common?
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby CS70 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:19 pm

You usually want to do that after you've compressed and tamed the sounds. Stuff like bass and kick, guitars and vocals, backing vocals, where the freq relations are fairly stable.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Elephone » Mon May 27, 2019 7:36 pm

CS70 wrote:
Elephone wrote:Hello. Has anyone tried this?

Not sure if you mean something specific with "EQ matching" but the practice of carving complementary EQ pockets in different instrument is fairly common?

Someone's already thought of it here: https://youtu.be/q09zvPrSFiA?t=170

CS70 wrote:You usually want to do that after you've compressed and tamed the sounds. Stuff like bass and kick, guitars and vocals, backing vocals, where the freq relations are fairly stable.

Okay, cheers.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 27, 2019 7:40 pm

Doesn't Ozone offer this functionality across tracks as well? And, at a mixbus level, it's something that Gullfoss does dynamically.
Reminding me that I really need to see where they've got to with the Windows port on that. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...