You are here

Room Modes! Please Help!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Room Modes! Please Help!

Postby michaelburk » Fri May 31, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi everyone! I recorded a school choir last week. The space we were in was pretty dead. I have come to now mix this and there are room modes what seems everywhere. I take one out on the GEQ and it removes that one but then another one appears, and so on... and it seems to be never ending. It comes to then pretty much destroying the sound source and there are more room modes than before! I have tried wide Q bands to just scoop out the problem areas but they are still persisting. So again, take the individual ones out and get the same problem! Help! Please! What am I doing wrong? Never had this issue before with close micing.
michaelburk

Re: Room Modes! Please Help!

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:11 am

Did you actually have a mic on each singer? Just wondering if that is what you meant by close micing?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby michaelburk » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Sorry should have been more clear. Microphones used were 3 microphones used as spot mics across the front to get a closer sound, and then an XY over the conductors head. I meant, never had the issue of room modes when close micing in a studio environment. The whole location, school hall thing was a first for me. Thanks!
michaelburk

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:14 am

Did you monitor it at the time? Room modes tend to occur at specific frequencies, I can’t think why eq would reveal more artefacts elsewhere.
Are you trying to use all the microphones, maybe better to settle on just the xy pair or the spot mics and use some eq on them?
Are you compressing/limiting as well, that might make room modes suddenly more noticeable?
MOF
Regular