You are here

Recommended closed cabinet monitors for under £500 a pair

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Recommended closed cabinet monitors for under £500 a pair

Postby mat6066 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Any recommendations?
mat6066
Regular

Re: Recommended closed cabinet monitors for under £500 a pair

Postby John Willett » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:22 pm

s/h Rogers (or Chartwell or Harbeth) LS3/5a :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:38 pm

John Willett wrote:s/h Rogers (or Chartwell or Harbeth) LS3/5a :thumbup:

You'll be lucky to find them for that price - the prices I've seen are more in the KH120 territory and I'd recommend the KH120 over the LS3/5a (I've tried them together in my studio). You might find an LS3/5a derivative or kit in your price range - might be worth looking on the Falcon Acoustics website. Phil Ward also reviewed some LS3/5a style monitors a couple of months ago in the magazine which were around £600.

Used Acoustic Energy AE22's are a possibility although you may need to be patient as they don't appear very often.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby John Willett » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:26 pm

James Perrett wrote:
John Willett wrote:s/h Rogers (or Chartwell or Harbeth) LS3/5a :thumbup:

You'll be lucky to find them for that price - the prices I've seen are more in the KH120 territory and I'd recommend the KH120 over the LS3/5a (I've tried them together in my studio). You might find an LS3/5a derivative or kit in your price range - might be worth looking on the Falcon Acoustics website. Phil Ward also reviewed some LS3/5a style monitors a couple of months ago in the magazine which were around £600.

Used Acoustic Energy AE22's are a possibility although you may need to be patient as they don't appear very often.

I met the MD of Falcon recently - new LS3/5a are *not* cheap.

The problem is that the OP wanted sealed monitors, not bass-reflex and these are very few and far between at an affordable price.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:35 pm

Why only closed monitors?

You can get a few reflex monitors with decent response rates! In that budget range, a couple of used smaller Genelecs would be my first choice.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby rurs » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:40 pm

ESI Unik+, 5 or 8 inch, are supplied with a bung to seal the port, goes most of the way to sealed enclosure response. I'm very happy with my set, used in a small space and fairly close to the corners.
rurs
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:17 pm

i doubt you'd find any decent LS3/5a monitors for £500 -- they are still very highly prized and command prices closer to £1k or more for really good sets.

If you're dead set on sealed cabinets then probably the Avantone active Mix Cube would be my recommendation, which is bang on budget...

But actually, I'd ask why the sealed-cabinet requirement?

It's certainly true that a good small sealed-cabinet speaker can easily outperform a bad small ported-cabinet speaker... The problem is that many small ported speakers essentially over-use the port to try and provide the impression of a much stronger bass than is really practicable, and the side effects of the approach include a lot of temporal smearing and a tendency towards one-note bass...

But -- and it's an important but -- no all ported speakers are designed badly. Many are actually extremely good, especially those designed by reputable manufacturers and intended for pro-audio applications.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Logarhythm » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:15 am

Already mentioned above, but a very happy AE22 user here and they would be well within your budget if and when you can find them. But as noted by James, they don't come up for sale that often so you'd need to be patient.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:03 am

You can still get a pair of NS10s within that price range, though obviously you'll need an amp to drive them with.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Phil Ward » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:54 pm

I'd undoubtedly go for previously loved KEF LS50s and use the supplied port-blocking foam.

Phil
Phil Ward
Regular
Freelance audio product designer/writer: https://musicandmiscellany.com Hi-Fi Prints: https://audio-icons.com

Postby Logarhythm » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Phil Ward wrote:I'd undoubtedly go for KEF LS50s and use the supplied port-blocking foam.

Phil
The OP will be doing well to pick up a pair of them for less than £500?
Second hand pairs of the passive version were still fetching £600 or so last time I looked.
SOS review was pretty favourable though, IIRC.

Double edit:
Prices have fallen a bit, so it's doable.
And the review that I recalled reading in the mag was one of yours :thumbup:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Phil Ward » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:11 pm

The OP will be doing well to pick up a pair of them for less than £500?
Second hand pairs of the passive version were still fetching £600 or so last time I looked.
SOS review was pretty favourable though, IIRC.

Double edit:
Prices have fallen a bit, so it's doable.
And the review that I recalled reading in the mag was one of yours :thumbup:

Yeah I think it's achievable. Mine were £500 quite a while ago but it took a bit of eBay patience.

P
Phil Ward
Regular
Freelance audio product designer/writer: https://musicandmiscellany.com Hi-Fi Prints: https://audio-icons.com

Postby mat6066 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:46 am

Thanks for all your helpful comments everyone. The reason I wanted sealed cabinets is because of they'll need to placed very closed to a wall, and won't be pushed very hard in terms of volume so the shortcomings of such a design won't be an issue as far as I can see. I'm going to audition a pair of KEF LS50 and Unik 05+ speakers. I couldn't find the Swisstones on the Graham Audio site :(

Cheers,
Mat
mat6066
Regular

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:33 am

mat6066 wrote:The reason I wanted sealed cabinets is because of they'll need to placed very closed to a wall, and won't be pushed very hard in terms of volume so the shortcomings of such a design won't be an issue as far as I can see.

Flawed logic!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:20 am

The Red Bladder wrote:
mat6066 wrote:The reason I wanted sealed cabinets is because of they'll need to placed very closed to a wall, and won't be pushed very hard in terms of volume so the shortcomings of such a design won't be an issue as far as I can see.

Flawed logic!

If you go for front ported, that shouldn't be a problem, I have found though that sealed box infinite baffle designs give a much "tighter" sound especially in boomy sounding rooms. I like NS10's, don't like the LS3/5a much, fantastic on speech, and some opera, but tend to get a bit muddy and thick with dynamic music, certainly not worth the money they're asking for them these days.
One of the best near field speakers I've ever owned were a pair of Acoustic Research AR3's, sadly they died, I should have got them re-coned, fantastic clarity and definition, much better than an LS3/5a IMO.
I'm using old KEFS at the mo, they have that same great mid range unit that was used in the LS3/5a.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster