You are here

Best way to smooth out raspy vowels sounds

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Best way to smooth out raspy vowels sounds

Postby otisvillain » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Hello all- i need some advice on the best way to smooth out raspy/rough vowel sounds recorded in a few words on lyrics I'm mixing.

I'll quickly explain- I love where the vocals are at volume/effect/eq wise. There are 2 times during the song where raspy vowels sounds annoy me-- in the word 'wrapped' the 'a' sound and another time when she says 'I'. Basically, during those parts, the mic recorded the actual throat vibration as she transitioned from word to word.

I've tried automating eq and volume, and some actual edits on those syllables, but it just doesn't sound right. I know it's sorta hard without actually hearing the snippets, but do you have any ideas on how I can correct this? Thanks!
otisvillain

Re: Best way to smooth out raspy vowels sounds

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:46 pm

You probably can't. You can do a lot with Melodyne and other editors but if the performance is flawed in this way you'll need to rerecord. You could try and find similar syllables elsewhere and tune them and patch them in but it's unlikely to be very successful. The moral of the tale is, of course, listen closely during the take and redo it immediately if you're not happy.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:50 pm

In Cubase I'd make a cut on the raspy noise, then stretch the audio either side of the cut and cross-fade them. You can hide most oddities that way.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby MOF » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 pm

I’d leave it in, it didn’t hurt Bonnie. Tyler’s career. :)
MOF
Regular

Postby Elephone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 pm

If the vocal track is dry and the "wrapped" is on the same pitch and length, maybe cut just the vowel from the preferred one.
Elephone
Frequent Poster