You are here

Reaper issues

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Reaper issues

Postby Elephone » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Hi. I've just got a few problems with Reaper that I'm sure it's just a matter of knowing how...

Does anyone know the command or shortcut key to place the time cursor (locater) at the absolute (right side) end of a selected media item? In Nuendo, I seem to remember it being 'N' (next) and 'B' (back').

I also suddenly have a problem where I have to keep navigating to the same directory and folder to add media items. It doesn't remember where I grabbed the last inserted media item from.

Also, I don't know what I've done, but the wildcard system doesn't seem to be working properly. How ever many tracks I render, I keep finding one file named, and I presume it's getting overwritten as many times as there are tracks.

I've also had an incident where one stem track seems to have become out of synch, actually time-streched in relation to the others (so I'd have to chop it up to get it in time). Is there a way to completely disable any timestretch/pitch-shift capability?

Anyway, I'm going to update Reaper tonight, so perhaps these issues will be resolved.

The final issue is... is there a way to export my list of plugins so I don't have to create Reaper favourite plugin folders again? Can't find anything about it.

Thanks in advance!
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Reaper issues

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Shift+End takes you to the end of a project, ] takes you to the end of a section or selection.
Can't help with the rest I'm afraid though. :(

Though I seem to recall there's a tickbox in the render menu that talks about automatically creating new file versions or something like that? Sorry, not at that machine at the moment.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Elephone » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Mixedup » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:05 am

My guess on the time stretch is that your dragging up/down in the wrong place accidentally and it's applying a playback speed change for the clip. Can't recall what it's called (not at my machine right now) but you'll find the action in mouse modifiers somewhere so should be able to change it.

Not sure about the media items folder... I just drag/drop items from Finder, which is always open at the last used folder...

Not sure about cursor to end of clip as a default but if you have an action for going to end of selection you can easily create a custom action to select what's under the cursor then go to end of selection.

Render... what he said!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Elephone » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:18 pm

Mixedup wrote: My guess on the time stretch is that your dragging up/down in the wrong place accidentally and it's applying a playback speed change for the clip.

Yes, I think you can apply timestretch by resizing a media item and holding the shift key, so it must be something like that. But I wish there was a way to completely turn off that feature. I'd never use timestretch so casually (as some people must do) because of how it might affect the sound. I don't know how or when it applies these changes at other times, like changing the DAW tempo.

Mixedup wrote:Not sure about the media items folder... I just drag/drop items from Finder, which is always open at the last used folder...

I seem to remember it doing that, but now I have to save the project in that location otherwise it goes to the default folder each time.

Mixedup wrote:Not sure about cursor to end of clip as a default but if you have an action for going to end of selection you can easily create a custom action to select what's under the cursor then go to end of selection.

Yes that was answered (above). It's the '[' and ']' keys to go to the right-side ends of media items.

Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Elephone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Had another odd issue since then. If I put a virtual amp plugin on a track, it affects recorded material on that track as expected, but not me playing directly with a guitar, even though the signal is being received on the track (and can be recorded). I just hear the dry guitar signal.

Is there some connection that need to be made between the direct input and the virtual amp software (e.g. Amplitube) that isn't already made between the input and the track?

Incidentally (or not), I did change the buffer size recently to avoid latency with certain effects VSTs. I changed it back but I've not tried the direct guitar-to-VST amp again since.

Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:50 pm

Sounds like you're monitoring the input not the output, that's mostly likely configured on your interface.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Elephone » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 pm

blinddrew wrote:Sounds like you're monitoring the input not the output, that's mostly likely configured on your interface.

Thanks, but the levels were/are not reacting on the amp plugin except on recorded audio. The track level is showing expected activity, however. Very strange.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Sorry, bit confused now.
You're taking a DI guitar feed into Reaper from your interface (what is that by the way?), you're not using the amp-plugin on the input but it's just sitting as a track plug-in?
You can see audio activity on the track level meter but not on the plug-in level meter?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Elephone » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Yes. I put Amplitube (and I tried others) on the track FX. The track level responds to the signal from the guitar (so it's not the interface) and records the signal as normal. But (e.g.) Amplitude does not process the direct signal to the channel, only after it's been recorded.

Cheers
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Mixedup » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:36 pm

Sounds to me like you're monitoring the direct input signal somehow — maybe via your audio interface rather than Reaper? — but haven't engaged monitoring (the little speaker icon) on the track you're recording to. I don't have Amplitude on this machine, but it's working fine with other amp sims here... If you don't engage monitoring, signal still passes through the channel and is metered and recorded but you're not listening to it...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Elephone » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 pm

Thanks but wouldn't Amplitube still show levels in reacting to the direct signal? I don't think it was receiving the direct signal at all. I'll check in the next few days.
Elephone
Frequent Poster