You are here

Anything cheaper than iZotope's RX?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Anything cheaper than iZotope's RX?

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:39 am

Speaking as someone who bought RX Elements, the only reason to buy it is so that you can get a good upgrade deal on the full RX. In my opinion RX Elements is missing the processes where RX really shines and isn't worth buying unless you are planning on using it to upgrade cheaply to the standard version.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:14 am

I wouldn't be as categoric as James about Elements. I bought it and have stayed with it - not upgraded. I find the Voice Denoiser useful for quick-fixes and use Declip on over-enthusiastic recordings sent to me by others. But I'm only occasionally doing anything that needs lots of 'fixing'

But if I was doing lots of serious restoration or rescue work then I'd upgrade in a trice...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby TNGator » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:39 am

Mike Stranks wrote:I wouldn't be as categoric as James about Elements. I bought it and have stayed with it - not upgraded. I find the Voice Denoiser useful for quick-fixes and use Declip on over-enthusiastic recordings sent to me by others. But I'm only occasionally doing anything that needs lots of 'fixing'

But if I was doing lots of serious restoration or rescue work then I'd upgrade in a trice...

Good point. Im no expert at all but this project was the only that caused me such problems and it turned out to be a rookie goof on my part. Im just saying that for less than 50 bucks I think this is a killer deal for whats being thrown in. Trash2 alone is worth well over 100 for what it can do. :clap:
TNGator
Regular
Southern kin y'all

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:47 pm

Maybe I should add that I already own an old version of Adobe Audition which works better for me than the processes included in RX Elements. Audition's de-clicker does less damage to the original audio (RX loses too much detail) and its de-clipper is as good as RX's. RX wins out with its spectral de-noise, spectral repair (very versatile) and de-crackle. All of the winners are only available in the standard edition.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I wouldn't be as categoric as James about Elements. I bought it and have stayed with it - not upgraded. I find the Voice Denoiser useful for quick-fixes and use Declip on over-enthusiastic recordings sent to me by others. But I'm only occasionally doing anything that needs lots of 'fixing'.
I'm in the same boat with the video stuff I do at work. Voice Denoiser does a great job of getting rif of air-con hum, background traffic noise etc, but also is suprisingly good a taming obvious room reverb.
But again, I'm only looking for a light tidy up, and I'm not shooting for broadcast quality! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:24 pm

I moved from RX Elements to Standard because the deal on offer was too good to miss (it was offered to me as a long term loyal customer after I'd owned Elements for, ooh, at least three weeks). It is better, of course, but I wouldn't have lost sleep waiting for it as Elements is surprisingly capable if it's your first ever exposure to noise reduction software.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:31 pm

blinddrew wrote:...and I'm not shooting for broadcast quality! :)

There was a time when that phrase actually meant something... :beamup:

We now seem to have cinema-standard, just-good-enough, and portrait-smartphone as the three defining levels of video quality... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Ha! Put me in the 'just good enough' category then. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous