You are here

Please review my mix!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Please review my mix!

Postby Hexo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Hi every body,

I'm trying to improve this track as much as possible, and as always my client who's the singer by the way asks for more vocal loudness and clarity and also overall loudness and quality. He also finds my reverb "not like the good ones" and asks for a wider and fuller one, maybe like the reverb in "DJ Snake ft. Justin Bieber-Let Me Love You"

Please help me with the mentioned and whatever you find bad or wrong in the mix.
Any ideas are highly appreciated.

link to the track:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DOmsS1IkdNKenypVkPeqHdLafrZA_2S4/view?usp=sharing
and a reference track which I find great, though I know it's much different in style and more:
https://www.irantunez.com/music/hamed-baradaran-ey-kash#play
Hexo
Regular
There are a million keys to perfection and they are buried in different graves.

Re: Please review my mix!

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:44 pm

I don't think your mix is bad at all, but compared to the reference, a couple of things stand out. First of all, the vocal is very loud in your mix compared with the other elements. In the reference mix the vocal is still strong but the other instruments are much more prominent. Second, your mix is a little heavy in the mid-range, especially around 1kHz and below, whereas the reference mix has more top end (from 3kHz upwards). So I'd suggest adding a gentle shelving boost to the mix bus from about 3kHz for a start, and bringing up the other instruments in the mix (apart from the kick drum which is plenty loud enough already).

The vocal in your mix sounds quite dry to me -- I think it could have more reverb and yet still be clear.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:25 am

I've just had a quick listen but to my ears there's quite a lot happening in the middle of the mix. Although you've spaced your reverbs out nice and wide the instruments are still fairly central and there are times when they're competing in the vocal space a bit.
Moving these out to more prominent L and R positions may give the vocal a bit more space without having to drive the levels.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hexo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:44 pm

blinddrew wrote:I've just had a quick listen but to my ears there's quite a lot happening in the middle of the mix. Although you've spaced your reverbs out nice and wide the instruments are still fairly central and there are times when they're competing in the vocal space a bit.
Moving these out to more prominent L and R positions may give the vocal a bit more space without having to drive the levels.
Sam Inglis wrote:I don't think your mix is bad at all, but compared to the reference, a couple of things stand out. First of all, the vocal is very loud in your mix compared with the other elements. In the reference mix the vocal is still strong but the other instruments are much more prominent. Second, your mix is a little heavy in the mid-range, especially around 1kHz and below, whereas the reference mix has more top end (from 3kHz upwards). So I'd suggest adding a gentle shelving boost to the mix bus from about 3kHz for a start, and bringing up the other instruments in the mix (apart from the kick drum which is plenty loud enough already).

The vocal in your mix sounds quite dry to me -- I think it could have more reverb and yet still be clear.

Very great points. I did as you said and even found new problems and corrected them too. You wanna check it out?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15APGkv ... sp=sharing
Hexo
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Hexo wrote:
blinddrew wrote:I've just had a quick listen but to my ears there's quite a lot happening in the middle of the mix. Although you've spaced your reverbs out nice and wide the instruments are still fairly central and there are times when they're competing in the vocal space a bit.
Sam Inglis wrote:I don't think your mix is bad at all, but compared to the reference, a couple of things stand out. First of all, the vocal is very loud in your mix compared with the other elements. In the reference mix the vocal is still strong but the other instruments are much more prominent. Second, your mix is a little heavy in the mid-range, especially around 1kHz and below, whereas the reference mix has more top end (from 3kHz upwards). So I'd suggest adding a gentle shelving boost to the mix bus from about 3kHz for a start, and bringing up the other instruments in the mix (apart from the kick drum which is plenty loud enough already).

Very great points. I did as you said and even found new problems and corrected them too. You wanna check it out?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15APGkv ... sp=sharing

I'm not good at this sort of thing, not being an engineer at the desk, but the second attempt does sound an improvement, the points the other posters have mentioned are the points I had in mind but I couldn't say how to address the points except fiddle about till it sounds better. To my ears it might just a tad more space and separation if that makes sense, maybe a little more reverb but avoid it becoming a 'mush' you are certainly within touching distance of a good result, and yes the over loud kick drum seems to have been brought down a bit to a less 'in your face' level
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 pm

That new mix works better for me, the only thing that I would look at if it were mine is that when the singer moves to the higher register the dynamics of the vocal track don't really follow the passion of the delivery. Does that make sense? There are bits where it feels like the singer is really going for it but the level doesn't quite reflect that, maybe he's leaning back from the mic? I think it needs a bit of automation on the vocal line to make sure that the levels are following the delivery - for example, at 1:01 as he goes up to the higher register you lose the weight and volume of the low frequency and so you lose a bit of the impact as well.
You can hear the same effect at about 2:47. I might be tempted to add a duplicate track one octave down and feed that in at very low level just to bring back a bit of the low end.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hexo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:41 pm

blinddrew wrote:That new mix works better for me, the only thing that I would look at if it were mine is that when the singer moves to the higher register the dynamics of the vocal track don't really follow the passion of the delivery. Does that make sense? There are bits where it feels like the singer is really going for it but the level doesn't quite reflect that, maybe he's leaning back from the mic? I think it needs a bit of automation on the vocal line to make sure that the levels are following the delivery - for example, at 1:01 as he goes up to the higher register you lose the weight and volume of the low frequency and so you lose a bit of the impact as well.
You can hear the same effect at about 2:47. I might be tempted to add a duplicate track one octave down and feed that in at very low level just to bring back a bit of the low end.

Thanks a lot, I'll check that too. Do you mean to transpose the current track one octave down and layer it or record a new one? If the first, do you think it's aesthetically fine in such a genre?
Hexo
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:56 pm

I mean make a duplicate of the current track, drop it an octave, then mix it back in at such a low level that you can't hear it as a separate track, you just notice that the vocals are a bit 'thin' if you mute it. You wouldn't need to do it throughout the track either, just where the singer hits the high register.
Whether that is acceptable in your field is down to you, but I've done it in much more exposed tracks where I've realised too late that I really haven't done a good enough job capturing the vocal properly.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hexo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:20 am

blinddrew wrote:I mean make a duplicate of the current track, drop it an octave, then mix it back in at such a low level that you can't hear it as a separate track, you just notice that the vocals are a bit 'thin' if you mute it. You wouldn't need to do it throughout the track either, just where the singer hits the high register.
Whether that is acceptable in your field is down to you, but I've done it in much more exposed tracks where I've realised too late that I really haven't done a good enough job capturing the vocal properly.

Thanks a lot. I'll check it out.
Hexo
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:05 am

Man there is soooo much more you could do with the reverb on that vocal track.

The way he plays with the micropitches, and holds notes while the previous pitch could be reverbing, adding layers, and implied harmonies, and swirling places, and sparkling tails...

Some Eventide stuff would be really musical to play with...

Use the reverbs just on him but not on the track to put him in his own exotic place.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster