You are here

'Mixing Secrets' Multitrack Download Library - Looking for Songs with Different Drum Miking.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

'Mixing Secrets' Multitrack Download Library - Looking for Songs with Different Drum Miking.

Postby ITHertz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:03 am

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to up my drum mixing game and so I've been looking into different methods of drum recording, particularly those that use less close-miking like "Recorderman", Glyn Johns, etc.

The 'Mixing Secrets' Multitrack Download Library is a great resource however it doesn't allow for searching by criteria such as these.

Has anyone come across any examples in the library that use drum recording techniques such as these?

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Re: 'Mixing Secrets' Multitrack Download Library - Looking for Songs with Different Drum Miking.

Postby Mike Senior » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:47 am

ITHertz wrote:I've been trying to up my drum mixing game and so I've been looking into different methods of drum recording, particularly those that use less close-miking like "Recorderman", Glyn Johns, etc.

The 'Mixing Secrets' Multitrack Download Library is a great resource however it doesn't allow for searching by criteria such as these.

Has anyone come across any examples in the library that use drum recording techniques such as these?

Glad to hear you're getting good use out of the library! You're right that you can't currently search the library in that way, although a search/filter function is definitely on the cards at some point as part of my ongoing Cambridge-MT site redesign plans.

In the meantime, you might want to check out the following projects that have a mono overhead/room mic, as that often indicates a non-standard miking:

In addition, though, if you're after general practice with mixing drums, there are a number of Mix Rescue projects in the library that I can confirm, from personal experience, need careful drum mixing work. And the advantage with those, of course, is that you can get some tips from the article if you need them. In fact, for several of those projects, I've also uploaded my Reaper mix project from the article if you want to download that and have a look at what I did. (You can open the project in the fully-featured cross-platform demo version of Reaper, and there are screengrabs of all the third-party plug-ins there too, in case you don't have those installed.):

Hopefully that should be plenty to keep you busy! :)
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio

Re: 'Mixing Secrets' Multitrack Download Library - Looking for Songs with Different Drum Miking.

Postby ITHertz » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Thanks Mike!
ITHertz
Regular

Postby ITHertz » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:04 am

Something else that might be useful (for me, anyway!) would be to have some way of searching for recordings that are tracked "live" as a band as opposed to those that are overdubbed.

Cheers!
ITHertz
Regular

Postby Mike Senior » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:16 am

ITHertz wrote:Something else that might be useful (for me, anyway!) would be to have some way of searching for recordings that are tracked "live" as a band as opposed to those that are overdubbed.

Yeah -- that's in the plan too. Also distinguishing between real and virtual kits, things with/without spill -- all that kind of thing.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio