You are here

Map Categorizing of Effects & Processors

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Map Categorizing of Effects & Processors

Postby Elephone » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:54 pm

This is a pretty nerdy post, but I do find myself thinking about how to organise my effects and processors every now and then. Multi-effects aside, is there any consensus on this?

For example, in NI Reaktor, EQs, filters, etc are considered 'Waveshapers', Leslie speakers go in stereo & panning, etc. But then you might make a decision about using tremolo or Leslie, so then there's the practical approach of how they're going to be used.

I was going to work out a comprehensive map of effects & processors... as a way of getting the possibilities clear in my mind too... but perhaps someone with better knowledge has already done this and published it somewhere.

I suppose there has to be a compromise between what actually going on, and how you're using them.

Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Map Categorizing of Effects & Processors

Postby Elephone » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:21 am

Yep, a bit nerdy, but then again I was looking into Stockhausen and I do think this might be something he would have done to help with electronic composition. He liked to work out all the possibilities of a concept and then set use them as resources for composition.

So, he'd really fix all the parameters/considerations for how waveforms can be shaped, then use these to impose rules for how they can be used in compositions.

It would be good to have a chart/poster of all the available effects (and variations) on the wall, to help to understand or make clearer in the mind all the options and how different effects relate. It'd probably make quite a good music technology course assignment.

The point is comprehensiveness, clarity and usefulness. I do have a text file of all my effects in categories, with descriptions of what each plugin can do best, and I definitely find it more useful than just browsing my plugins folder.

Anyway, just a thought.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Map Categorizing of Effects & Processors

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:34 am

Hi Elephone

When I want to organise simple information quickly and hierarchically, I usually use a mind-map. There is an excellent *free* cross-platform (well, Java) application called FreePlane. It is a slightly more developed fork of the also open-source FreeMind.

I use it when planning just about anything: to do lists, reports, what effects hang off what synth (see example printed to PDF: https://www.2btech.co.uk/refimages/Synths+FX.pdf), how all my studio mains and PSUs are connected, what CCs to control what synth parameters for a BCR2000 or Novation Remote, etc etc. Nerdy but fun!

Very easy to move info around (mouse drag or keyboard arrows) and get the info relationships set out clearly.

It would be a great way to organise your text based info into something more structured.
BillB
Frequent Poster