You are here

Beyer Dynamic DT 770 - which ohm rating?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Beyer Dynamic DT 770 - which ohm rating?

Postby siderealxxx » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi, I'm buying a pair of DT770s and I'm not sure which ohm rating is right for my needs (I don't really understand ohms if I'm honest!).

They are intended as a pair of closed back day-to-day working headphones (when I need more isolation than my HD 650s provide) run from a Samson S-Phone headphone amp via an RME FF800.

I found this on the Beyer site and I assume I need either the 32 ohms or 250 ohms:

https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/en- ... ch-source-

Any input appreciated before I purchase - thanks!
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Re: Beyer Dynamic DT 770 - which ohm rating?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:22 pm

Either would be fine.

Lower impedance phones are generally intended for battery-powered equipment and higher impedance for higher-quality mains-powered equipment... But there are exceptions to that guide, naturally! :-)

Also, for a given volume setting on the headphone amp, phones with a lower impedance will usually sound louder than the same phones with a higher impedance.

So.... Personally, I'd go for the 250 Ohm version which will tend to be better suited to high performance headphone amps. But the 32 Ohm version will probably go slightly louder with your Samson, if that's an issue, and would be a better match for use with iPods, phones etc if thats relevant. ... But my vote would be for the 250 Ohm version.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:29 pm

You need to look at the specifications for the gear that you own and use the recommended headphone impedance. Nowadays most gear will be happy driving lower impedance headphones so 32 ohms would be appropriate. Portable recorders, phones and tablets also often have limited output power for headphones so they'll be louder into low impedance headphones.

Some older gear (especially German/Austrian/Swiss equipment for some reason) prefers to work with high impedance headphones so you'll need 250 ohm headphones. The high impedance headphones will be a bit quieter when used with battery powered gear but this is only a real problem if you like to listen loud in noisy environments. I use 250 ohm headphones most of the time and rarely have problems with level (and I'd probably damage my ears if they were any louder).

Edited to add: - basically what Hugh said...
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:02 pm

And just to follow up, my DT770s are the 250Ohm version and they are capable of delivering ear-damaging levels from my focusrite 8i6 interface, and still plenty loud enough when working off my mobile phone. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby siderealxxx » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks all! Sounds like the 250ohms will do the job ;) cheers!
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder