You are here

Behringer NU3000DSP

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Behringer NU3000DSP

Postby Ali T » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:33 am

Hi All,

First post here, have acquired one of these amps with a pair of Open Baffle speakers with which it’s used to drive an 18” Goldwood woofer in each channel. Crossover is set to the manufacturer’s specs. Problem I have is the light circles around the volume pots going momentarily red with deep bass transients. From what I can gather this means the amp protection s kicking in?

I have monitored the in and output levels with the PC software and levels are nowhere near clipping, yet the amp does not seem to be happy. If I keep the levels low the amp seems fine, turn it up slightly and the protection is kicking in on deep bass transients.

Does anyone have knowledge of these amps?
Ali T
New here

Re: Behringer NU3000DSP

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:21 am

I don't know the amp, but it appears to be pretty powerful and happy with low load impedances (1520W into 2 Ohms, stereo, or 3kW into 4 Ohm bridged mono), so I'm surprised its complaining.

Manual: https://media63.music-group.com/media/sys_master/h49/he4/8849454694430.pdf

One thought did strike me, though. Reading the manual I see it has a built-in limiter facility, so I'm wondering if that is set too low?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ali T » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks, yes I wondered that also, checked and limit is set to 0db.
Ali T
New here

Postby Wonks » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:55 pm

When you say 'open baffle', do you mean a hi-fi style speaker like the one described here using the same speaker? http://diyaudioprojects.com/Drivers/GW-1858/ and http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project08/Jordan.pdf
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Wonks » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:12 pm

The driver seems to be rated at around 6 ohms and 220W, The amp should put out about 600W per channel into 6 ohms, which is a bit too much for the speaker to handle if turned up loud, so some form of limiting or gain reduction is recommended. An amp that's 2 x the speaker rating is the recommended maximum amp selection for PA speakers.

The open baffle design doesn't do anything to boost the bass response of the speaker and whilst it's got a reasonable at around 380Hz, it's about 18dB down at 100Hz and about 22dB down at 50Hz. So if the amp power is being boosted to get a decent level of bass, then it could well be driving too hard.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:12 pm

If it's not the signal limiter acting early, then are you using any gain boost in the crossovers or PEQ boost (possibly to bolster the low end performance of the open-baffle speaker?) If so, that would eat into the amp's headroom...

It would probably be worth hooking up a laptop to run the remote control software, and that way you can check the input and output levels and see what is going on to trigger the limiting/protection.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Ali T » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Yes did that with the software, as I said above the levels of both in and outputs are low, not even reaching halfway.

The OB’s are Bastanis, but do indeed use that driver.
Ali T
New here

Postby Ali T » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:50 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:If it's not the signal limiter acting early, then are you using any gain boost in the crossovers or PEQ boost (possibly to bolster the low end performance of the open-baffle speaker?) If so, that would eat into the amp's headroom...

It would probably be worth hooking up a laptop to run the remote control software, and that way you can check the input and output levels and see what is going on to trigger the limiting/protection.

Presumably that would show up on the levels though?

The crossover programmes are sent by Bastanis for upload to the Behringer, I know they are used without problems by others.

Also bear in mind I am only using these as hi Fi speakers in my living room, so not being pushed at all.
Ali T
New here