You are here

What is Spectral Compression ?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: What is Spectral Compression ?

Postby ef37a » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:33 am

Or, as I did a week ago, it is when you sit on your reading glasses.

Frames totally borked and they don't stock it anymore so I have to stump up for a new set of specs!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Mike Senior wrote:As an aside, though, I like the fact that ReaFIR can be so brutal in its processing -- great for reining in frequency peaks.

I wonder if it would be good to have a magazine article on ReaFIR? I'd never explored the compression option at all before trying it after seeing this thread and it looks like it could offer some really interesting sounds. I wonder how many other people are aware of its power?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Dennis J Wilkins » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm

by Mike Senior » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:02 am

Hmm. Not tried this yet, but already it looks like it doesn't have dedicated side-chain EQ controls, which would be one of the first things I'd want.

Yes, the detection circuit, whether used on the direct input signal or using a sidechain input, has a feature called Focus that is a graphically controlled 'bandpass' filter with a low and a high 'handle' that can be set while observing an overlay of the detection signal spectrum, so you can see just what is being used for detection. There is also a 'switch' to listen to the detection signal after EQing it. Further, the spectral compression, if used, applies the focus band of the detection circuit to the controlled signal, rather than ducking the full frequency range. And the spectral compression system, another graphical control with a kind of spectral display of its own, has its own focus control to further adjust what/how is being compressed.

I's say its worth checking out, but give it some time since there are a lot of features that can interact in useful ways.
Dennis J Wilkins
Poster
Dennis - Colorado USA

Postby Dennis J Wilkins » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Make that "I'd say its worth checking out, but give it some time since there are a lot of features that can interact in useful ways." One more amazing result of digital audio.
Dennis J Wilkins
Poster
Dennis - Colorado USA

Previous