You are here

Removing residual 'sawtooth' waveforms?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Removing residual 'sawtooth' waveforms?

Postby Elephone » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi. I don't know quite how to describe this...

I've removed a bass guitar from a drum track, recorded on tape, but there are some 'sawtooth' frequencies leftover from the bass that I can only seem to remove using the healing tool in audition.

If anyone has any idea what I'm taking about, is there another way to go about this? If not, I'll post a screen-shot of the waveform I'm talking about. It sort of rides on the wanted waveform, forming saw-teeth at regular intervals along it.

Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Removing residual 'sawtooth' waveforms?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:11 pm

Are these sawtooth waveforms audible?

It sounds like you're describing harmonics of the bass track...

Either way, you should be able to work out the fundamental frequency of them by looking at their period on the wave display, and that will give a good clue as to the source and the method of removal.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Elephone » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Are these sawtooth waveforms audible?

It sounds like you're describing harmonics of the bass track...

Either way, you should be able to work out the fundamental frequency of them by looking at their period on the wave display, and that will give a good clue as to the source and the method of removal.

They're audible as raspy clicks that form a low-sounding frequency like toothcomb clicks. When I zoom into the wave, I can see teeth along the otherwise wanted waveform, but they're sparse and so form a low frequency.

Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:17 am

Have you tried using Audition's spectral view? I would expect to see the frequencies of the sawtooth follow the bass line. RX allows you to automatically select harmonics when you select the fundamental of a note which would make removing these easy - I can't remember whether Audition has something similar.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page