You are here

Manley Vari Mu or Dangerous Music Compressor

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Manley Vari Mu or Dangerous Music Compressor

Postby forumuser929433 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:11 pm

I want to get a compressor for final stage of mastering and for other mixing jobs. Here is my mastering chain again:

DAW->Dangerous Convert 8-> dangerous D-Box Summing-> Neve 8803 EQ-> SSL XLogic G Bus Compressor-> SSL Fusion->(a compressor i want to buy)-> Maselec MPL-2 Limiter-> Burl B2 ADC-> DAW

For the compressor i want to buy, i am thinking of a transparent compressor to give me the final polish, gain and professional shine before hitting either my Burl ADC or the MPL-2.

I am really torn between Manley Vari Mu and Dangerous Music Compressor. Since i am in egypt, i dont have the option of trying them and before deciding so i need a professional advice based on my above needs..

Some people told me Manley Vari Mu is a must in any professional studio and will do any job I want from it brilliantly, Others tell me to get the Dangerous Compressor as the Vari Mu is for glue (which my SSL G already does) and also the Vari Mu is for adding some color when being driven hard (I already get lots of color options from the SSL Fusion and the Burl although for sure different that the Vari Mu tube color) but its not as versatile on instruments/groups and not as transparent as the Dangerous Compressor…. What do you think?

N.B I have the UAD version of the Manley Bari Mu although I don’t know how it compares to the hardware
Appreciate your help :)
forumuser929433

Re: Manley Vari Mu or Dangerous Music Compressor

Postby Jack Ruston » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:44 am

A few thoughts....

No individual piece of outboard is a must have in a professional studio...perhaps an 1176 in a tracking context, but anyway.

No individual piece of outboard is right for every application. Some are more flexible than others, but typically that colour that can sometimes be just perfect, is what makes things less flexible in a mastering context.

Mixing and mastering requirements often differ.

You really need to consider perfect recall as a must. There needs to be a way for you to use tone to match your gain structure and settings, or have a unit with switches rather than pots, which will add to the cost considerably.

There are many many, many options. A vari mu mastering edition is a good compressor. It really depends what you want sonically.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby forumuser929433 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 am

Jack Ruston wrote:A few thoughts....

No individual piece of outboard is a must have in a professional studio...perhaps an 1176 in a tracking context, but anyway.

No individual piece of outboard is right for every application. Some are more flexible than others, but typically that colour that can sometimes be just perfect, is what makes things less flexible in a mastering context.

Mixing and mastering requirements often differ.

You really need to consider perfect recall as a must. There needs to be a way for you to use tone to match your gain structure and settings, or have a unit with switches rather than pots, which will add to the cost considerably.

There are many many, many options. A vari mu mastering edition is a good compressor. It really depends what you want sonically.

J

agree with you that there is no piece of gear that could suit every style and every situation..Maybe i need to tell you more about what i do to determine what suits me better. I do mainly orchestral music and film scores in addition to some pop/latin songs. Rarely EDM. Also i need a transparent smooth compressor because i dont to add more color to my music than what i already have
forumuser929433

Postby Zukan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:33 am

Like Jack said it depends what you need it for. However, if transparency is what you're after then the Dangerous comp would be better suited than a coloured Vari-MU.
Zukan

Postby forumuser929433 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 am

Zukan wrote:Like Jack said it depends what you need it for. However, if transparency is what you're after then the Dangerous comp would be better suited than a coloured Vari-MU.

I mainly do orchestral music and since i already have color gear like the SSL Fusion and the burl B2 ADC, i think i dont need another color compressor right?
forumuser929433

Postby Zukan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:00 am

No, it might be repetition or overkill.

You will more sue with the transparency and musicality of the Dangerous than the gluing attributes of Vari-MU.
Zukan