You are here

Noob question:is it possible to control channels after the board?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Noob question:is it possible to control channels after the board?

Postby FriarPablo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:26 am

Hey Guys and Gals of SOS world,

I am a podcaster based in southern California. I'm trying to find a way to manipulate individual voice channels after the recording has been done.

My current setup is a Pyle PMXU83BT sending to audacity. I'm sure this is not the ideal setup. I'm learning Logic Pro X.

Is there a way with this setup or do I need a different board or program?

Thanks a million,
FriarPablo
FriarPablo

Re: Noob question:is it possible to control channels after the board?

Postby Zukan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:31 am

Hey Friar, welcome to the forums.

After you have recorded the vocals are they not available as audio stems? Because if they are you should be able to import them into both Logic and Audacity and perform any edits you need within the software.

In fact, it would be more helpful if you explain the whole process to us listing what software and computer you use.
Zukan

Postby Wonks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:59 am

The Pyle is a 4-mic input mixer, with USB or Bluetooth output. No details I could quickly find if the USB/BT output is a copy of the main stereo outs, or can be set up to output the individual mic channels. I strongly suspect it's just the stereo output.

To remix vocal levels after the recording, you need a setup where each mic is recorded to its own channel. With your current set-up, you are limited to two mics (with one person per mic), panned hard left and right, so that each voice is on its own track. Without each voice on its own track, there is no really easy way to re-balance vocal levels unless you always have only one person speaking at a time.

For three of four (or more) voices, you really need a mixer with a multi-channel USB output, to act as a recording interface, or a multi mic-channel audio interface. The former is probably easier for live podcasts, though it is possible to mix the inputs from an audio interface 'in the box' to output for the podcast, though with a bit more processing delay on the sound than with a mixer.

So what's your maximum mic/voice count?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:03 am

Welcome!

Sound advice so far....

... you might also consider a multi-channel recorder such as a Zoom F4, F8 or one the Sound Devices MixPre's. The advantage with those is that you can also use the automix facility, producing a stereo mix at the same time. Then, if you decide that you don't need to do any post-recording manipulation then you have a ready-made mix.

Oh! And also check-out the Rodecaster Pro. Seems tailor-made for what you want to do...

And there's nothing wrong with Audacity for basic recording like you're doing. It does multitrack too so no need to upgrade.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster