You are here

Abbey Concert Recording Opinions Required

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Abbey Concert Recording Opinions Required

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I understand why you take the approach you do. Different situations always involve different compromises. We can all learn by being open minded and considering different techniques for different situations...

BTW, the equipment needed to measure the Dc value is only a source of noise or tone, a small portable speaker, a sound level meter, and a tape measure. And it takes no more than five minutes in most cases.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby hobbyist » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I understand why you take the approach you do. Different situations always involve different compromises. We can all learn by being open minded and considering different techniques for different situations...

BTW, the equipment needed to measure the Dc value is only a source of noise or tone, a small portable speaker, a sound level meter, and a tape measure. And it takes no more than five minutes in most cases.

True but the tape measure and the time to do it could be an issue.
As well as being able to do it at all. Depends where you are and what you are recording as well as your status and the venues quirks with respect to what they will let you do.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Sure. Can't say I've ever had a problem when I've wanted to do it, but I can Imagine situations where it may prove awkward to achieve.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby hooty2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 am

As the OP, i felt a response was warranted after a very interesting thread so far.....
Time for my mood killer!

(before that diversion, i want to add this: I often measure my foot and then pace unobtrusively when getting distances for spot delays. I want to try the technique to ascertain Dc point if only to see how my subjective feel matches up but also, as i have read many times, microphones assay the room in their own special way according to type and response etc.......)

The mood killer moments:
1) a physics teacher joined me on my terrace last night and out of a varied set of topics (brexit, weather, cathedrals), he declared that: 'in modelling, a complex state, when presented with a strategic simple outcome, will become un-stable'
2) you must know the workshop cum party game, whereby first person writes a line...passes to second who adds a line and then folds over the first line before passing to third person who only responds to second line and so on. The resultant 'poem' is read as a whole and is certain to evoke feelings of awe & serendipity among most if not all.
3) Exposing my therapy workshop history: as a break in some creative activity, a 20 minute break is used to brainstorm a stream of uncensored writing.....then we are asked to condense it to salient points, maybe 7 at most...we then conjure a three line Haiku or similarly molded aphorism.

Anyone out there care to offer me a succinct bit of education that can be drawn out of the thread above?
Or...at risk of deserved joshing...a poem?
hooty2
Regular

Previous