You are here

Looking for feedback on my mix

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Looking for feedback on my mix

Postby siydock » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi, I just finished a first draft of a mix, and would love any feedback/critiques.

[url=soundcloud.com/siydock/undone]soundcloud.com/siydock/undone[/url]

Thanks
siydock

Re: Looking for feedback on my mix

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Listening now... while I do so, the way to create a link in a post is:

Code: Select all
[url=soundcloud.com/siydock/undone]My soundcloud link text[/url]

I like the guitar sound ... the distorted vocal is an interesting element as a musical-ish noise but if there are any lyrics I can't tell what they are.

As far as I can tell there is only a guitar and a distorted vocal in the mix, which is difficult to judge as a mix other than to say 'guitar sound is nice, vocal is incomprehensible'. The distortion on the guitar is a tad too much for my taste as well.

Not that I don't like it as a concept, just I can't make head or tail of what the lyrics are and there's way to much distortion floating about in there overall.

The low-mids, low-end could do with some attention, but I suspect that's partly the over-use of distortion.

All meant in a positive spirit, it's good to hear people share their work and I commend you for doing so. As confirmed by Phratry you can obviously play a stringed instrument or two well enough. I think apart from the overuse of distortion in the first track, the vocals could be clearer all round :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Re: Looking for feedback on my mix

Postby blinddrew » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:33 pm

Yep, pretty much what Eddy said, I love the chiming but dirty guitar sound but would really have liked to hear the lyrics.
I'd be tempted to make the delays on the vocal line work a bit harder as well, maybe consider a ping-pong delay to get some width in there - we don't really get any width until the last few seconds.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...