You are here

Vocal panning...gah, my ears...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Vocal panning...gah, my ears...

Postby BJG145 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:34 pm

I was just listening to a track, and I thought the vocal sounded a bit left-biased...but I swapped the headphones round, and it still sounded left-biased...!

Oh dear.

*edit*

Leads me to wonder, though, whether there's a system for 'calibrating your ears'. Do you remember those stupid old sliders for calibrating gamma correction on your monitor and stuff...?

I could imagine a slider, and it plays a test sample, and you drag the slider until it sounds central for you...and so forth.

Maybe this isn't as daft as it sounds? Or...maybe it is...
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Vocal panning...gah, my ears...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Have you tried leaning your head to the right? ;-)

And on a more serious note... Wax?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby BJG145 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And on a more serious note... Wax?

Probably a good idea, but I'm nervous about it because I know someone who blames the procedure for tinnitus. But I suppose they know what they're doing mostly.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:45 pm

BJG145 wrote:I could imagine a slider, and it plays a test sample, and you drag the slider until it sounds central for you...and so forth.

Maybe this isn't as daft as it sounds? Or...maybe it is...

It's called a 'balance' control.

Used to be a standard facility on quality hi-fi and professional monitor controllers back in the day, in recognition that most people had slightly different hearing sensitivities in their left/right ears.

Standard practice for BBC radio studio managers when setting up a studio was to select radio 4 on the monitoring, switch to mono on both speakers, and then adjust the monitor balance control to position the phantom image In midway between the two speakers. Everyone ended up with slightly different settings.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:27 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:And on a more serious note... Wax?

Probably a good idea, but I'm nervous about it because I know someone who blames the procedure for tinnitus. But I suppose they know what they're doing mostly.

I've had the procedure regularly over the ears... never any problems - apart from stubborn wax on one occasion that took several flushings to clear.

Damage is caused if an attempt is made to flush it before it's soft enough. Hence, the medics will never flush mine unless the ears have a week of twice-a-day olive oil first. Go see a doc... at least they can see if it IS wax and then you can take it from there.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:21 am

Good advice from Mike. I've had similar wax issues for many years, more in one ear.
I especially second Mike's words about softening the wax with an oil (it may take some time) before attempts to remove it, especially if using vacuum methods which in the wrong hands can be painful and even brutal. I have personally sworn off letting a practitioner use a vacuum tool unless I have complete confidence in them.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster