You are here

One Less Reason "Where Were You?"(My Mix) comment please

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

One Less Reason "Where Were You?"(My Mix) comment please

Postby mammy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:36 pm

mammy
Poster

Re: One Less Reason "Where Were You?"(My Mix) comment please

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi mammy!

Just had a quick listen, so here are my initial thoughts.

1. Song is very nicely put together, and the mixing levels seem about right, as you can hear every instrument clearly. Bravo!

2. However, the entire mix is rather harsh- perhaps you've boosted the low kilohertz frequency (presence) range? This mostly works with the vocals, making them cut through and be mighty legible, but it also makes the snare, cymbals and guitars really sharp and glass-like - too much for my ears.

3. This imbalance also makes the mix sound a bit bass-light, but even once you tame the top end a bit I think you'll still need to beef up the bass guitar in particular.

I don't personally think this mix needs a lot of work - it's already punchy, well played and well arranged. You could probably make these EQ tweaks globally on the mix buss, although it would probably benefit from being done channel by channel, to give more separation.

Hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Inglis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:28 pm

I also think it sounds harsh, but I don't think it's solely an EQ or tonal balance issue -- the entire mix seems to me to be quite obviously distorted in a way that gets tiring to listen to really fast. Are you maybe overdoing some sort of saturation or tape effect on the master bus?

The balance of instruments is pretty good, as is the performance. The bass is very indistinct, though, and it's hard to be sure exactly why -- I suspect there's no mid-range in the bass sound and so it lacks articulation. The first section of the song seems bass-light, but after about 1 minute it gets more balanced.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Temp » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:33 am

To avoid any misunderstanding with regards to performance, composition, arrangement etc., I believe this is some kind of remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7BQ-UiQqLY
Temp
Regular