You are here

Show me how to create a perfect smooth sine wave using only a voice

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Show me how to create a perfect smooth sine wave using only a voice

Postby samcharacter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:30 am

Kanye's vocal processing in Lost In The World

In is kanyne west's vocal from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivmpfM_CJP8

It literally looks identical to a sine wave.

How are they getting a vocal to look like a sine wave?

slate vms ---> bae mp into pro tools Print the autotune in the same key and sung the exact same thing as him but my waveform still looks different...

the bottom is me

the top is his.

link to picture ---> https://ibb.co/rMwZ3B7

How are nav, drake, kanye, etc and all of these artist getting this shaved but smooth sound especially in the high frequencies polished sound? Is it just their gear and their mics?

YG is literally just talking into the mic at 1:12 and it comes out crispy af

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp2MfiG9ed8
samcharacter
New here

Re: Show me how to create a perfect smooth sine wave using only a voice

Postby hobbyist » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 pm

Sounds more like it is their voice not the gear unless some digital filtering was added. Or could it have been done in a DAW adding a pure sine wave to replace the voice.

Did you use your DAW to look at the spectrum and see if it really is a sine wave or just looks like one.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby samcharacter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 am

hobbyist wrote:Sounds more like it is their voice not the gear unless some digital filtering was added. Or could it have been done in a DAW adding a pure sine wave to replace the voice.

Did you use your DAW to look at the spectrum and see if it really is a sine wave or just looks like one.

Yes if you download the track and upload into the daw or use a analyzer it literally looks like a sine wave. The edges on the cycles of the waveforms are really smooth.

try to download the track yourself and take a look.

I noticed you said could replace the voice with a pure sine wave in a daw. Do you mind explaining how to do this or recommended me a article, book or video for me to learn?
samcharacter
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 am

I listened to the start of that fist track and I think the effect you're describing is just a vocoder. They're using his heavily auto-tuned voice to trigger a sine-wave-ish sound in a synth playing chords...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby hobbyist » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 pm

samcharacter wrote:
hobbyist wrote:Sounds more like it is their voice not the gear unless some digital filtering was added. Or could it have been done in a DAW adding a pure sine wave to replace the voice.

Yes if you download the track and upload into the daw or use a analyzer it literally looks like a sine wave. The edges on the cycles of the waveforms are really smooth.

I noticed you said could replace the voice with a pure sine wave in a daw. Do you mind explaining how to do this or recommended me a article, book or video for me to learn?

It may look like a sine wave. But what does the FFT spectrum show?

I think Hugh nailed it in his reply.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby samcharacter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:43 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I listened to the start of that fist track and I think the effect you're describing is just a vocoder. They're using his heavily auto-tuned voice to trigger a sine-wave-ish sound in a synth playing chords...

H

Wow. I am not sure how I did not think of this. This is exactly what they are doing!

So to clarify you are saying they are using is Antares auto tune and tuning it really hard and then sending that into a hardware/software synth and playing with knobs to get it to sound like a sine wave?

Do you know any vsts , and can you explain to me how I can experiment with this in the box with massive, omnisphere, or whatever; as I am extremely interested in learning how to do this.
samcharacter
New here

Postby samcharacter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:46 am

hobbyist wrote:
samcharacter wrote:

It may look like a sine wave. But what does the FFT spectrum show?

I think Hugh nailed it in his reply.

Yes he did.

this is what a FFT shows

https://ibb.co/jW544zB
samcharacter
New here