You are here

Help please!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Help please!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:49 pm

I have HD25s and they're great for outdoor sound recording where the noise exclusion is a real benefit... but they really aren't the most comfortable things to wear for long periods. You also need to be really careful buying HD25s because there are several different models with very similar numbers but vastly different performance and facilities!

The model numbering is confusing but these versions below are all good, all have a split headband and a single-sided cable connection. (Watch out for the cheaper DJ version which is not what you'd want!)

HD 25-1 II - 70Ω - 1.5m steel cable with right-angled connector.
HD 25 II - 70Ω - 2m steel cable with straight connector.
HD 25-C II - 70Ω - 2/3m coiled copper cable with straight connector.
HD 25-13 II - 600Ω - 3m steel cable with straight connector.

Personally, though, I'd counsel against he HD25s and steer you instead towards something like the BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro. There are three models the 250, 80, or 32 -- the numbers referring to the impedance -- but the Pro 80 is probably the most versatile variant as it works nicely with pretty much everything.

Alternatively, the AKG K271 MkII is very nice.

These will both cost you around £110-£125, and they are both very high-quality, accurate, closed-back, very comfortable, and reliable. Both are very common in professional studios for tracking.

The AKG has the benefit of a detachable cord which can be useful (and is easy to replace if damaged). The Beyer has nice velour earpads...

And if you really want to spoil your man, you might just be able to stretch to throw in a very nice dedicated headphone amplifier as well -- something like the Rupert Neve Designs RNHP or the SPL Phonitor Mini. These are both around £475 each, so the total with headphones would push up to around £600 in total which I know is beyond your budget... but only by a little bit :-) -- and you could haggle for a food deal if you're buying both together.

Try KMR... Very nice people, always very helpful... tell them we sent you! :-D

https://www.kmraudio.com/products/recording-monitors/headphone-amplifiers
https://www.kmraudio.com/products/recording-monitors/professional-studio-headphones/headphones-type/closed
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:51 am

+1 for the Betyerdynamic 770 Pro, easy to wear for a long time and once you know then you can mix on even if closed backed, with just the occasional check .

Different sound than his current ones.

You might want to probe how much he’s into headphones and types, if he’s very knowledgeable he may have quite specific ideas of what he wants..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby John Willett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:48 am

faythforever wrote:Thank you everyone for your replies!!!

The headphones he has now are close back (if I researched this properly) Sennheiser HD 280 pro and they are not in the greatest shape thanks to our 5year old. So I’m thinking maybe another closed back.

Is there something you can recommend that is close
Back? Thank you again for all your time!!!

Maybe open back for the next birthday? Lol

OK - so he likes Sennheiser.

I would suggest getting him a new pair of earpads for the HD 280 and, maybe, new cable and headband pad if they are tatty. This will bring them back to top-notch.

And then buy him a new pair of open headphones - ideally a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 (or HD 650) as he likes the Sennheiser sound.

This should all be within budget. :thumbup:

What a wonderful wife you are - I hope he looks after you as well as you obviously look after him. :clap:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby John Willett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:52 am

Oh - if he is listening direct from the computer on the standard headphone output, then I would recommend a headphone amp.

One of these would push the budget , but I have used the DragonFly Red which is excellent and have just upgraded to the new DragonFly Cobalt. These are excellent at a reasonable price and also work superbly well with a smartphone if you want top quality. :thumbup:
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am

John Willett wrote:I would suggest getting him a new pair of earpads for the HD 280 and, maybe, new cable and headband pad if they are tatty. This will bring them back to top-notch.

The new HD 300 pros are a big step up from the HD 280 pro, and are currently around the same price.

If the husband's HD 280 Pros are as tatty as my oldest pair, then new earpads won't bring them up to top notch as mine have got broken plastic and black insulating tape all over them to cover the ends up.

And you can get the 300s plus the 650s for less than £400 total.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:50 am

John Willett wrote:

The headphones he has now are close back (if I researched this properly) Sennheiser HD 280 pro and they are not in the greatest shape thanks to our 5year old. So I’m thinking maybe another closed back.

Or he liked the 280s, but isn't necessarily a Sennheiser loyalist. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:19 pm

Wonks wrote:... you can get the 300s plus the 650s for less than £400 total.

This sound like an excellent idea - and you can add the DragonFly Red and still come out at about £550 for the lot. :thumbup:

I have used the DragonFly Red since it came out - it's excellent and even drives my Sennheiser HD 800 perfectly. :thumbup:

Though the DragonFly Cobalt is better, it costs £ 100 more.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby John Willett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
John Willett wrote:

Or he liked the 280s, but isn't necessarily a Sennheiser loyalist. :)

I never said he was a "loyalist", but the sound obviousley suits him. ;)
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:48 pm

+1 for HD25's if he needs closed back. Always handy for overdubbing without the guide bleeding into the mic. Great for in-flight movies as well. I know it's subjective but I find them comfy too.

However by the time we've all agreed the OP will be considering retirement presents
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
'Cause the law don't change another's mind

Previous