You are here

How do I get that professional sounding high end on my master?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: How do I get that professional sounding high end on my master?

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:51 pm

samwashere wrote:Also I'm new to the forum, so I'm not sure how everything works here in terms of sharing work, can i just directly message wave files and mp3's?

You'll need to put them up somewhere like Dropbox/One Drive/Google Drive and then send a link to the file to whoever wants it. Some people use Soundcloud but that only allows you to share mp3's so won't be so good for uncompressed original mixes.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 pm

James Perrett wrote:
samwashere wrote: Some people use Soundcloud but that only allows you to share mp3's so won't be so good for uncompressed original mixes.

Not 100% true. The standard playback is a 128 kbps mp3 file (which SoundCloud always create themselves, regardless of the uploaded file quality. But if you allow downloading of the track by others, (Edit> Permissions> Enable Direct Downloads) then the download option is for the original quality file. Also make sure the track has public access.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby samwashere » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:44 pm

The Elf wrote:
samwashere wrote:- can someone explain headroom?
The bottom line - what is the maximum level your recorded tracks (e.g. vocals) peak at?

Your DAW will tell you peak levels, either as a 'properties/information' option, or as a 'peak hold' number by each track's fader.

I'm not sure of exact levels however I make sure its never clipping or hitting the red zone so to speak. I have never attempted to hit a certain peak, usually when recording vocals I will run them through a CLA-76 compressor to add a slight bit of tightness and tame any super let loud words or phrases as well. Also to add some makeup gain.

I am by no means a professional producer or recording engineer so I've just experimented with several recording techniques and found this one to be the easiest method.
samwashere
New here

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:04 pm

That compressor in the recording chain is ringing alarm bells with me. Time, I would say, to acquaint yourself with the basics of gain management and reading volume meters. There's no point in trying to guide you with peak level targets if those levels mean nothing to you.

Where are you based? As others have said, this could all be sorted by a couple of hours with someone like myself or Zukan.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:51 pm

To be clear - there is absolutely no value in recording through a software compressor. I suspect you are recording too hot.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby samwashere » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:19 pm

I'm based in Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm actually set to meet with a local producer at a studio here on Thursday to talk about mixing etc. but I wanted to post here in the meantime in hopes of working through it myself.

I've heard not to use compression when recording however the style of music i'm recording is mainly rap and autotuned rap or pop style vocals so I find a bit of compression helps, there is never any peaking I've noticed. Maybe I should go back and revisit things, and read up more on recording hip hop/rap vocals..
samwashere
New here

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:00 pm

It's not about not using compression - it's about not using *software* compression. To do anything meaningful you need a hardware compressor ahead of the audio interface.

I would forget about reading up about 'rap vocals' and just read up on recording and audio basics. Without the fundamentals you don't have a solid foundation to work from. A basic understanding of gain-staging, digital audio and basic levels will help massively and stop the guesswork that I believe is probably tripping you up right now.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Actually nothing about the mix that the OP has posted suggests any problems with gain structure to my ear. It isn't wildly out of kilter and nothing is obviously clipping.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:40 pm

But, as an aside, if you do want to delve a little deeper into vocal production, I definitely recommend this tutorial set from Eddie Bazil (aka Zukan): https://samplecraze.com/product/vocal-p ... sterclass/
And it's got £5 off at the moment! :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:Actually nothing about the mix that the OP has posted suggests any problems with gain structure to my ear. It isn't wildly out of kilter and nothing is obviously clipping.
I'm not saying it's the one and only problem, but you need to start at the beginning! Some fundamentals need to be in place if this guy is going to help himself out of the problems he's hearing. Without the fundamentals that's not easy.

Straining the audio chain on the way in may be skewing the recording from the very start - it doesn't need to have obvious clipping to make a difference. Faders get raised, plug-ins are pushed hard, other stuff is added louder to compensate, faders get raised, D/A is strained and mix choices are made based on all of this, faders are raised... I've seen it happen many times. It's hard to know, obviously, but to sort this out you have to start from the very beginning of the chain. If we can be sure we have clean recordings then we can move to other options.

And I'd second the vote for Eddie's guidance!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:12 pm

You're right that it's best to have the fundamentals down, but in this particular case I really think gain structure is a non issue. The song is constructed from synths and samples, over which the OP has successfully recorded a vocal that sounds fine to me. He's also mixed it pretty well -- yes there's some room for improvement but it's no beginner effort.

Many vocalists like to hear themselves with compression, and as long as nothing's clipping, there is no reason not to use a software compressor to get the sound right in the headphones and inspire the rapper or singer to deliver a good performance.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:42 am

No, nothing wrong with that, but if it's being used to adjust the recorded level then it's potentially masking problems further up the chain. I still say the fundamentals need to be in place - without a compressor to muddy the waters - then he can move forward.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Previous