You are here

Need help with audio quality

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Need help with audio quality

Postby chaseuk02 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Hello everyone,
I am completely lost when it comes to audio. I have a audio clip where something has went bad with the first 6-7 seconds of the recording before clearing up. It sounds like the speaker is very muffled.

I am guessing that this is something that cannot be undone? Does anyone have any suggestions or could anyone clean up the audio for me? I would be eternally grateful.

https://soundcloud.com/user-353146338/foradam6/s-LKvcp
chaseuk02
New here

Re: Need help with audio quality

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:28 am

No that section cant be cleaned up. The information is not there. Did you make the recording or is this from somebody else? I suspect the only hope is that those first seconds were not compromised on the original recording.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 am

Had a very quick listen... mp3 only of course, listening direct on Soundcloud...

Sounded to me like the person was still coming 'on mic' as the recording started... If so it's an artefact of the mic in relation to the speaker and nothing to do with technical quality per se.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby MOF » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:17 pm

I don’t think it was a delay in getting close to the mic’ it sounds like MP3 artefacts due to not enough data getting to your recording device.
Not much chance of repairing it other than Cedar audio devices and they might struggle.
MOF
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:34 pm

It can probably be improved to be more intelligible, but almost impossible to get to match the rest of the recording.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby chaseuk02 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks everyone. I appreciate you giving it a listen.
chaseuk02
New here

Postby chaseuk02 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:51 pm

Would anyone be willing to help clean it up further even if it cannot be fixed completely?

I would pay for your time!
chaseuk02
New here

Postby Tim Gillett » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:54 pm

I would if I felt I could significantly improve the first 4 seconds but I don't believe it's possible.

But I'm puzzled how what seems like a seamless section of speech could comprise two sections with such different levels of sound quality, with that abrupt change at 4 seconds in. What was the voice originally recorded on? Has this been edited in any way?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby chaseuk02 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:09 pm

Tim, yes that is correct. It has been edited to simply raise the volume so you can hear what he is saying. In the original recording the microphone appears to cut out and you can barely hear what he is saying, then it picks up and the rest of the sound is normal.
chaseuk02
New here

Postby Kwackman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:16 pm

chaseuk02 wrote:Tn the original recording the microphone appears to cut out

How was it recorded? Was the speaker in the same room as the recording or was it someone being recorded over Skype, FaceTime, ISDN or similar technology? If so, my guess is that the recording started before the technology had locked up a solid connection.
I don't think it's fixable, but hope I'm wrong!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:32 pm

I'd agree with Tim on this - it wouldn't be possible to match the sound of the rest of the recording. The line sounds perfectly audible to me so it isn't a problem if this is just an audio letter, but if it is for wider circulation then the best solution would be to re-record that line and edit it in to the rest of the piece.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby chaseuk02 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Kwackman wrote:
chaseuk02 wrote:Tn the original recording the microphone appears to cut out

How was it recorded? Was the speaker in the same room as the recording or was it someone being recorded over Skype, FaceTime, ISDN or similar technology? If so, my guess is that the recording started before the technology had locked up a solid connection.
I don't think it's fixable, but hope I'm wrong!

It was recorded on a phone over a similar technology as you mentioned. I do believe you are correct, it looks like the connection had not had time to solidify.

Thanks for taking a listen. I just thought I would ask some folks who knew what they were talking about to see if I missed anything. I normalized the audio volume and tried to clean it up the best I could.
chaseuk02
New here

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:30 am

chaseuk02 wrote:...Thanks for taking a listen. I just thought I would ask some folks who knew what they were talking about to see if I missed anything. I normalized the audio volume and tried to clean it up the best I could.

"Cleaning up" is where mistakes are often made, for cleaning up is not always easy or even possible, let alone a perfect solution. As James said, just re recording may the best solution here. Here's an interesting short article by Nick Messite of Izotope on 8 Common Audio Restoration Mistakes.

https://www.izotope.com/content/izotope ... takes.html
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:45 am

Tim Gillett wrote:
chaseuk02 wrote:...Thanks for taking a listen. I just thought I would ask some folks who knew what they were talking about to see if I missed anything. I normalized the audio volume and tried to clean it up the best I could.

"Cleaning up" is where mistakes are often made, for cleaning up is not always easy or even possible, let alone a perfect solution. As James said, just re recording may the best solution here. Here's an interesting short article by Nick Messite of Izotope on 8 Common Audio Restoration Mistakes.

Indeed!

... and thanks for that link Tim... I'll have a listen later.

(A note for old sweats here: Have you noticed how often Mr G and I are agreeing these days? Wondrous! :lol: :thumbup: )
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby chaseuk02 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:

Thanks, Unfortunately, re-recording is not an option. So I just tried to make it audible and will have to live with the difference in audio quality it appears.
chaseuk02
New here

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:55 pm

I reckon he'll remember the message long afterwards and probably won't even really notice the first few seconds. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby innerchord » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:51 pm

That sounds like adaptive audio codec switching. There is probably some scope for improvement.
innerchord
Poster

Postby molecular » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 pm

I suspect Drew is right and the listener will almost certainly give it a lot less thought than anyone on here...

But you could do a bit of creative editing the start if that hadn’t occurred to you... could be a way of making it start with the congratulations phrase perhaps.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby Tim Gillett » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:34 pm

chaseuk02 wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:

Thanks, Unfortunately, re-recording is not an option. So I just tried to make it audible and will have to live with the difference in audio quality it appears.
I agree. The only alternative I can think of is to synthesise those 4 seconds by selecting the same words out of the rest of the message (if they all appear) and carefully editing them using the 4 second section as the template. But you might only discover how acceptable was the result by actually doing it.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Postby Terrible.dee » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:27 am

chaseuk02 wrote:Hello everyone,
I am completely lost when it comes to audio. I have a audio clip where something has went bad with the first 6-7 seconds of the recording before clearing up. It sounds like the speaker is very muffled.

I am guessing that this is something that cannot be undone? Does anyone have any suggestions or could anyone clean up the audio for me? I would be eternally grateful.

https://soundcloud.com/user-353146338/foradam6/s-LKvcp

Any type of major digital audio surgery is "Fool's Gold" and a waste of your time,

Do it again, do it RIGHT
Terrible.dee
Poster

Next