You are here

Can you recommend a good mastering service?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Can you recommend a good mastering service?

Postby Kinh » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:57 am

Ive tried a couple so far and they dont quite meet my standard. Do you people know of any good services out there? I write electronic music.
Kinh
Regular

Re: Can you recommend a good mastering service?

Postby Kwackman » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Kinh » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Not just UK, anyone.
I should point out I've already tried Dr Mix and they were pretty terrible, their customer service even worse than their mastering. Need higher end service yet affordable.
Kinh
Regular

Postby mammy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:52 pm

this is very good for mix and mastering .

https://www.fiverr.com/firewalk
mammy
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Not sure this is his genre but it might be worth asking Fabien at http://www.plaetlin-mastering.de/en
We didn't end up using him in the end but I am a fan of what he does.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:09 pm

Kinh wrote:Not just UK, anyone.
I should point out I've already tried Dr Mix and they were pretty terrible, their customer service even worse than their mastering. Need higher end service yet affordable.

Out of curiosity, what did you expect that didn't happen?
(obviously bad customer service I understand - was it only that?)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby ore_terra » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:18 pm

I've used EVE studios in Manchester with good results (and good rates) http://www.evemastering.com
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Kinh » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:40 pm

CS70 wrote:
Kinh wrote:Not just UK, anyone.

Out of curiosity, what did you expect that didn't happen?
(obviously bad customer service I understand - was it only that?)
They just weren't that good. Dont take enough pride in their work, all they see is $$$ signs. If someone's hearts not in their work then they're useless to me (and themselves).

I asked them if they wouldn't mind checking if the balance of each mix was OK before they start, to save myself and them time re-doing, you know just listening to it once and making note of basic things that weren't right eg, vocal too loud, things that would be problematic in the mastering process but no, that was too much to ask.
Contrast it with Sage Audio, which is the one I'll probably end up using they do check every mix and give feedback before they start, standard practice. That to me is the difference between someone who gives a crap and someone who doesn't
Kinh
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:09 pm

I see. Yeah it's often so.

That's likely because a mastering house will automatically assume that, in terms of sound and mix, what you send is what you want.

There's no "right" balance to any music, so asking them to "check" is basically asking for their opinion on your mix (which they know it's only an opinion). Most will respectfully decline, or ignore the question. It's not fun if a customer complains about the mastering house not respecting their artistic vision. Some few might state that assumption explicitly, but most don't.

Essentially a pro mixer would feel annoyed if someone was opinating on - or worse, questioning - his mix.

If we're talking album, there may be some attempt to create an sonic red thread across the songs if the mixes are wildly different, but definitely a master engineer will err on the side of caution and either do little, or ask carefully.

The only situation when they will question the mix is if it's something is so wrong that it doesn't allow them to do their job - which is to remove the working headroom, and making the mix somewhat similar to itself when played on most playback systems.

Dont know about these specific guys of course but in general wouldn't expect any comment on the mix from a mastering engineer, and reluctancy even if asked..

I've used Sage myself and they're good. :-)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:09 pm

--
CS70
Jedi Poster